LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Finer Resolution Plate Tectonics Movie

Home Forums Ichthyology Finer Resolution Plate Tectonics Movie

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

BillT
    Participant

Here is a link to a new map (movie actually) of plate tectonics at 1 million year intervals.

I have an older one I got hold of that has 20 million year intervals.

http://news.sciencemag.org/earth/2015/03/earths-tectonic-plates-skitter-about

I find these kind of things interesting. For example, I can see what things looked like when the Danionins were originating, maybe 30-40 MY ago in South Asia (a geologically interesting area).

A related issue of interest is how the Cichlids ended up on S. America and Africa if they had not yet evolved until after the two continents split.

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice link Bill. Isn’t the common ancestor of cichlids a marine taxon? Perhaps that might help explain their evolution?

BillT
    Participant

Thanks Matt.

I think the ancestral cichlid was supposed to have been in Africa but some how migrated to S. America after they split.

One theory I recell is that the freshwater river outflow (Amazon and maybe Congo) made the then narrow S. Atlantic more fresh water so it was tolerable to the freshwater cichlids.

Matt
    Keymaster

So they may have crossed via a historically more brackish Atlantic? Interesting that quite a few extant cichlids are known to occur in similar conditions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.