LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Finrot

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

kimberley88
    Participant

I recently bought a tank with fish from a friend.
    I’m new to fish keeping so forgive me if I seem clueless.
    I’ve noticed one of female platty’s who is pregnant has finrot.
    Any suggestions on treating her?

Plaamoo
    Participant

Hi Kimberley,
    Have you tested your water conditions? PH, Ammonia, Nitrates etc.? How’s your water change routine? In my limited experience these problems are often a result of poor water quality.

Bluedave
    Participant

Melafix should sort it in the short term but as Plaamoo said it is usually down to poor water quality.

kimberley88
    Participant

Thanks guys. I’m treatin the rtank at the moment as the amonia is a little high. 0.25.
    A LFS suggested leaving her die but I don’t wanna do that.

Plaamoo
    Participant

There should be no ammonia kimberley. If the tank was established(cycled) when your friend had it there was likely a problem in the move that caused some or all of your good bacteria to die. I’d do daily water changes, maybe 20%, till the cycle gets settled and there is no ammonia present. Be careful following the advice of an LFS, some are good, and some just want to sell you something.

kimberley88
    Participant

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Jan 7 2010, 04:21 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    There should be no ammonia kimberley. If the tank was established(cycled) when your friend had it there was likely a problem in the move that caused some or all of your good bacteria to die. I’d do daily water changes, maybe 20%, till the cycle gets settled and there is no ammonia present. Be careful following the advice of an LFS, some are good, and some just want to sell you something.

I’m treatin the tank with ammo lock. And been doin 10% water chnges. Will increase to 20 now. And keep you updated.

Bluedave
    Participant

Are you treating for the finrot? If not get some melafix – a salt bath can also work but is a kill or cure method and not recommended if you don’t know what yopur doing – Melafix all the way!

Matt
    Keymaster

I also vouch for Melafix – supposed to be a totally organic product too. The ammo lock will do nothing but exacerbate your water quality problems imo. Dilution is the best way as others have said.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.