LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Fish compatible with dwarf shrimp?

Home Forums My Aquarium Fish compatible with dwarf shrimp?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Atlas 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

ShadowMac

Hello,

Any dwarf cichlids that do well with dwarf shrimp? I do not mind if they eat shrimplets but would prefer the adults are left alone. Anyone have any recommendations? 

Any other great fish people like that go well with dwarf shrimp? 

Thanks for your help.

nuchal man
    Participant

No. You may get away with keeping some dwarf shrimp with fry, but cichlids and shrimp is not going to work. Even the smallest cichlids are still going to view the shrimp as food and if they can’t get them down in one bite, they’ll have no issue picking them apart into edible bits. You might have some luck if the tank is heavily planted, but even then if a dwarf cichlid stumbles upon a shrimp it’ll try to eat it. 

BallAquatics
    Participant

The only fish I have found that will not eat shrimplets are Otocinclus catfish.  I have kept various freshwater dwarf shrimp with many of the small danios, (D. margaritatus, nigrofasciatus, aesculapii, etc.), with great success though.

Dennis 

ShadowMac

Thanks for the replies. I don’t mind if they eat shrimplets as long as they leave the adults alone. If the adults are left alone most shrimp can out produce a modest number of predators within a tank. 

I plan to keep small fish. Too bad, I really like dwarf cichlids…but people like to buy shrimp and they do well keeping things clean in heavily planted aquascapes. 

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

You could keep Psuedepiplatys annulatus with dwarf shrimp. I did and the shrimp was quite prolific but never got any fry from the fish.

Atlas
    Participant

On the smaller end of the spectrum are dwarf rasboras, though they can be sensitive species.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.