LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Fish Eggs

Home Forums My Aquarium Fish Eggs

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bluedave 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

FemNavyVet
    Participant

Greetings. Apparently we are going to be grandparents. We just learned yesterday that our Angel Fish are one male and one female. They started freaking out when we got close to the tank and upon closer look we saw at least 100 eggs attached to the tank glass. The female has laid them, and the male has been fertilizing them; the eggs have begun to change color. I do believe there is nothing we can do at this point as they are attached to the glass, and with the other fish in the tank, they are probably going to be food (we have 3 African Leaf Fish, 5 Panda Cory, 1 Pleco, 1 Siamese Algae Eater, and 1 maybe 2 Kuhli Loach) very soon. They have been very protective and chasing away the other fish. Is it true that they will lay more eggs in 2 to 3 weeks? Perhaps we should buy a separate tank for them with a slate that they can lay their eggs? Is it hard to breed fish? Any sound advise appreciated.

sorab

It’s a long time ago since I bred them, they often eat the eggs the first time they spawn. In a community tank they get stressed trying to defend the eggs or fry so they can eat them. They are not very hard to breed, but feeding the babies their first foods can be a challenge I fed them baby brine shrimp, so you would need to hatch these ready for seven days after the eggs are laid. The couple I had were good parents so I left them with the fry, many breeders separate the eggs from the parents as many tank bred angels may not be good parents. They can easily lay 300-400 eggs so you would need to decide how many you could raise. They need a lot of clean water as they grow so its impossible for most people to keep a whole spawn. I put a few fish with them when to do the selection, I only had room for 20 and that was quite a bit of work and water changing to raise them. When they are small they need feeding about 5 times a day and very clean water.
    Its a lot of work, and you would need to cull most of the fry. Yes a seperate tank with a slate would work, the parents may or may not be up to tending the eggs and fry.

Bluedave
    Participant

A seperate tank would be a good idea if you did want to breed and keep the fry. You just need to be careful when and how you move them as you may upset them and they might not spawn again.

They are obviously happy in your tank and the water conditions must be good for them to breed so well done! If you have a lot of hiding places then you may find that 1 or 2 will survive on their own.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Some pics would be great if you’ve got some (of both your set up and the happy parents!).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.