LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Fish Genetics – Mollies, Lyretail Mollies And Platies

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Fish Genetics – Mollies, Lyretail Mollies And Platies

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Malti 7 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Malti
    Participant

so I had a pair of Poecilia sphenops, and just received a pair of Peocilia latipinna, and a trio of Xiphophorus maculatus.

As I wasn’t expecting them I put the Xiphophorus with the P schenops and the P. latipinna on their own.

now,

1 What’s the chance of the Xiphophorus (they are some strain, black with red or yellow heads) and P schenops? I don’t want hybrids to tell the truth.

2. If I mix P schenops and P latipinna(golden lyretail), what would be the dominant tail gene? the normal or lyretail? as my schenops are quite big, and the latis are small I was thinking I might get some big lyretails, if possible – what do you think? or should I keep them separated?

keith565
    Participant

the xiphs will not hybridize with the poecilias.
    not sure about the dominant gene, but personally i wouldn’t cross them,keep them as they are.
    i’ve seen large lyre tail sailfins, do nothing for me at all.

Malti
    Participant

I must contradict you there keith…had them xbreed..and I know cause I only had 2 fishes

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Feb 13 2011, 09:34 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I must contradict you there keith…had them xbreed..and I know cause I only had 2 fishes

i agree there is a very small chance, but it is highly unlikely they will hybridize unless there is no other choice (or so i have read)
    i’ve kept them together for years and never had a hybrid produced.

Malti
    Participant

Thx Keith as I’ll be selling on most of the fry I don’t want propagate crosses.. and as I’m also trying to line breed I’d want to keep them pure…

once had also a platy x swordtail brood…very delicate though only 2 made if to a short adulthood

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.