LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Fish That Primarily Eat Dry Land Animals

Home Forums The Lounge Fish That Primarily Eat Dry Land Animals

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ferox 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

thefish

do you know of any species of fish whose primary diet consists of animals that live primarily on dry land (either by leaping out of the water, or by eating them when they bathe or something like that)?.

What are such fish called?

Thanks

Matt
    Keymaster

Strange question, and is there any reason you posted it twice in separate fora (already deleted the other as it was in the wrong place)?

Eyrie
    Participant

Toxotidae come to mind.

thefish

QUOTE (Matt @ May 17 2011, 03:01 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Strange question, and is there any reason you posted it twice in separate fora (already deleted the other as it was in the wrong place)?

Yes, the question is strange. I am asking because I am writing a fantasy novel that has this kind of fish, and I want to know what I should call them. I first posted it in the ichthyology forum. When I saw that it wasn’t getting any replies, I posted it again in the fresh water fish forum, because that forum seemed much busier. and they are in fact fresh water fish.

I’m not sure what was the point of deleting it. Is there a limit to the number of topics the forums on this site can hold?

Colin
    Participant

How about Osteoglossum bicirrhosum

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (thefish @ May 19 2011, 05:18 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes, the question is strange. I am asking because I am writing a fantasy novel that has this kind of fish, and I want to know what I should call them. I first posted it in the ichthyology forum. When I saw that it wasn’t getting any replies, I posted it again in the fresh water fish forum, because that forum seemed much busier. and they are in fact fresh water fish.

I’m not sure what was the point of deleting it. Is there a limit to the number of topics the forums on this site can hold?

You’re in the wrong place if you want quick answers I’m afraid and yes there is a reason for deleting it in that there’s little point repeating a thread in two places. Just trying to maintain order. Anableps is another genus that mostly eat terrestrial animals. The only freshwater species I can think of that actually catch and consume warm-blooded creatures are pike (Esox lucius) and wels catfish (Silurus glanis) which often take water fowl but are by no means exclusively reliant on them. Guessing there are others though? Atractosteus maybe?

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Matt maybe you know?

How about the Archerfish Toxotes jaculatrix? They ought to eat a fair share of land living insects.

ferox
    Participant

The brackish water halfbeak Zenarchopterus buffonis eats mainly flying insects, but maybe not exclusively. Usually found in association with Toxotes sp. IME.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/speciessummary.php?id=17041

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.