LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Fish With Noses

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Fish With Noses

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Kajsa12 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

nuchal man
    Participant

A co-researcher of mine has recently discovered an interesting undescribed species with quite a large protrusion coming off its head that gives it an appearance of a nose. I can’t discuss much about the fish other than it is a cyprinodontiforme as we are actively doing research on it, but we are trying to determine the function of this protrusion and have been loooking at different fish that have similar anatomy. So far, we’ve found a few cichlids, such as Opthalmotilapia nasuta and Xenotilapia nasus that have a similar morphological trait. Below is an example of what I’m talking about:

I thought I’d ask around on the forum about any other fish people can think of with a similar “nose”. It can be fresh, brackish, or marine, but we are trying to find some fish that have a similar characteristic.

Thanks,

Sam

oaken
    Participant

Not sure if it fits your requirements, but Hemiodontichthys acipenserinus sure has something that looks like a nose.

coelacanth
    Participant

Quite a few of the Polynemidae have transparent fleshy noses, might be worth a look.

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Some of the log perch like Percina burtoni?

coelacanth
    Participant

Some Chondrostoma have a similar feature, I think some Curimatids may fit the bill also. All of these are very different from Cyprinodontiformes though in just about every way.

You’ve got me thinking, can’t really imagine how it might look!

nuchal man
    Participant

Awesome guys, keep them coming. I think some of the Polynemids, Percina, and Chondrostoma nasus look to have the feature.

The fish we have is a strange looking fish for the family. Hopefully I’ll be able to share more about it on the forum once we get a little further into the project.

Kajsa12
    Participant

Some Gastromyzon have a ‘nose’ (secondary rostrum).

http://www.aquariophil.org/html/gast_extrorsus.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.