LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

flora soil as biological filtration?

Home Forums My Aquarium flora soil as biological filtration?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

george
    Participant

I know under gravel filtration isn’t the best, but that’s what i have in my tank and i’ll stick with it for know. I understand UGF uses mainly the substrate as biological filtration, but does that refer to gravel and sand substrates only or will the colombo flora soil i plan to set it up with act as biological filtration as well. I am not planning on adding any sand, but i will if i have to. 

ShadowMac

Biological filtration is just a fancy way of saying “the home for all the beneficial bacteria”. The bacteria functions as the catalysts for the nitrogen cycle, taking harmful ammonia and nitrates and converting it into harmless nitrates to be consumed by plants.

Anything that provides a substantial amount of surface area (porous) can be used as a biofilter media as long as water runs through it. With a UGF, I’m assuming most any substrate can serve.

Matt
    Keymaster

UG substrates need to be cleaned periodically so as long as the soil is relatively solid it should be ok. What’s the approximate particle size? Too small and it may compact and form an anaerobic layer, one reason why sand isn’t recommended to use with UGs.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.