LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Freshwater Turtle

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Freshwater Turtle

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  johnpeten 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

johnpeten
    Participant

I thought it would be easy to identify our local Lake Turtles.
    The closest I can get is mentioned above, possibly the sub species gorzugi. However they apparently don’t exist in Guatemala.
    I have never kept turtles before but I have done my homework and he/she has a large tank with a beach above the waterline with a lamp over it for sunbathing. I have asked the local boys to bring me some more.
    Many people say don’t use sand/gravel but that is the natural habitat here so I don’t see the harm.
    I am feeding regular flake and vegetable flake and it eats everything I provide.
    This is a youngster the width of the carapace is about 2 inches.

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Looks very much like Trachemys venusta /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Mad Duff @ Oct 21 2009, 01:24 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looks very much like Trachemys venusta /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />

That’s my baby. Mesoamerican Slider. The drawings of the carapace and plastron in Jonathan Campbell’s voluminous writeup of Amphibians and Reptiles of Northern Guatemala, match exactly.

I am sure the locals eat them, they eat anything that moves.

Many thanks.

johnpeten
    Participant

My young Turtle has become a pet. When it sees me it kicks up a fuss until I feed it. It takes food from my fingers and has a go at my fingers as well. It loves freeze dried bloodworms and the regular fish flake. It turns it’s nose up at veggies. It appears to go for “meat” items yet I was reading that this should only be about a quarter of it’s diet.
    Also it always appears to be hungry. Should I feed it until he doesn’t want any more?

Matt
    Keymaster

If it’s anything like other Trachemys it’ll eat less meat as it grows; they need a lot of protein when young. I think males are more carnivorous then females too. Once a day is enough for feeding but once he or she gets a bit bigger you can leave lettuce, duckweed, etc. in there for it to browse on.

Malti
    Participant

I think most people don’t use sand for visibility maybe? how big does it grow?

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Oct 31 2009, 08:07 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    how big does it grow?

Unlike fish the adult size is described as like a dinner plate. They also have a very long life up to about 25 years apparently.

I gave my young guy a slice of par-boiled zuccini. It took a couple of bites and then looked at me as though to say “OK now where is the good stuff”. However during the night it was completely consumed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.