LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Garra Flavatra Fry!

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Garra Flavatra Fry!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Graeme
    Participant

Around 1 year ago i wrote some interesting behaviors with the Garra flavatra. Here’s what i wrote.

I’ve just been witnessing some interesting behaviors. Two of my Garra flavatra seem to show an interest in each other without it looking like a territorial fight.

What is seen is the male following what i think is a female and they seem to shadow each other around one of my large boulders. They hover around in circles side by side then the male looks like he is pushing the female into the corner of the large boulder and rocks. She stays there for a while and the male swims off for a while and he comes back for them to start hovering around on the large rocks/boulders again.

And today i’ve found 3 tiny survivors in one of my tanks. Cute little chaps that are grazing well at such a small size. I have no idea how they spawned but i will keep closer observations from now on. The parents are kept in neutral waters, fresh tap water normally of ph7.2 but drops to 6.8. and general 8 – 12 dH, 140 – 210 ppm.

Here’s one of the parents.

dunc
    Keymaster

That’s awesome Graeme

keith565
    Participant

wow, that is amazing, so is the colour on the adult.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Excellent news Graeme

Graeme
    Participant

Cheers chaps!

thelizzious

QUOTE (Graeme @ Nov 26 2008, 11:37 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Cheers chaps!

Matt
    Keymaster

Oh wow, groundbreaking stuff Graeme!! /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” /> The adult is stunning; have you noticed any signs of sexual dimorphism?

Graeme
    Participant

Thanks. /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

From my observations normally the males show the tubercles heavily around the facial area and also along the lateral line, especially on the caudal peduncle area, when only in breeding mood i must add.

Graeme
    Participant

Sure lizz, take your pic!

Matt
    Keymaster

Do the tubercules come and go Graeme? I was reading about Mick’s red-tails on LOL earlier and the fact their “horns” have reduced; interesting stuff!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.