LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

'Geophagus' brasiliensis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes 'Geophagus' brasiliensis

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Colin 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Just checking the id on these pics is correct before adding them to the KB.

Attached files

a.d.wood
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 5 2011, 01:06 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Just checking the id on these pics is correct before adding them to the KB.

Colin
    Participant

Nik maybe still has some iporangensis that I gave him a couple of years ago, I know he was breeding them for a while so perhaps has pics of young ones to compare?

I got an original pair from Tom H when you were probably still working for him, Matt, the iporangensis male was only about 10-12cm long even after several years – compared with brasiliensis males getting way bigger much quicker

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks gents. Andrew, are you referring to both specimens?

Colin, do you agree they’re ‘G.iporangensis then? What about this ‘Bahia Red’ fish – is it a possibility?

Colin
    Participant

If I really had to choose then I would side with Andrew as I bred hundreds of the iporangensis over the years and brasiliensis once or twice…

Can you ask about their eventual size as brasiliensis gets much bigger…

I have pics somewhere…………..

a.d.wood
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 6 2011, 08:19 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks gents. Andrew, are you referring to both specimens?

Colin, do you agree they’re ‘G.iporangensis then? What about this ‘Bahia Red’ fish – is it a possibility?

Matt,

These appear to be young fish. I’m away just now and need to look in Weidner’s Eartheaters book but….

I think separating juvenile brasiliensis and iporangensis will be quite difficult as I’m sure iporangensis is the southern population of brasiliensis and for long enough was considered a subspecies of brasiliensis rather than a species in its own right so differences are minimal.

Andrew

Matt
    Keymaster

That’s right Andrew – the main differences appear to be adult size, as already mentioned, and the fact that ‘G.iporangensis should have less reflective blue scales on head and body. To that end I’d agree that the lower of the two specimens pictured may well be ‘G.iporangensis but am suspicious of the upper one. Can send you the description later if interested?

No-one knows anything about this ‘Bahia Red’ form of ‘G.brasiliensis?

a.d.wood
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 7 2011, 12:24 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That’s right Andrew – the main differences appear to be adult size, as already mentioned, and the fact that ‘G.iporangensis should have less reflective blue scales on head and body. To that end I’d agree that the lower of the two specimens pictured may well be ‘G.iporangensis but am suspicious of the upper one. Can send you the description later if interested?

No-one knows anything about this ‘Bahia Red’ form of ‘G.brasiliensis?

Evening Matt,

Looking at Weidner’s book just now.

I don’t think you can conclusively say the top image is G. brasiliensis, yes, G. iporangensis has less reflective scales but as these photo’s are of juvenile fish I think a positive ID is unrealistic.

G. sp. Bahia Red, images show a red flush through the snout and onto the opercule area (Weidner comments this is a distinctive feature for ID).

Do you need a scan of the appropriate pages from Weidner’s book???

Andrew

Matt
    Keymaster

That would be wonderful, yes please Andrew!

Colin
    Participant

I’d have to say, from memory, that my male iporangensis was about as reflective as any brasiliensis I ever had? The males just were never as round and always kept their snout as opposed to “rounding off” with a hump

Colin
    Participant

here is a post from RetroGK Rahul from India with a report and pics of iporangensis that i gave to Nik which he gave to Rahul http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/communit…ht=iporangensis

nuchal man
    Participant

Here is a photo of a large 10″ ‘Geophagus’ brasiliensi male a friend of mine had. Not a great photo, but if you want to use it on the site that would be fine.

Here’s a bad pic of a male ‘G’. sp. “bahia red” I had. They breed exceptionally small. The fish in the photo is about 2.5″ long and had bred a few times for me. Unfortunately, I sold them. I would have liked to grow them out a little more. They have a very peach-pink body color, especially in the face. Very nice fish and quite similar ‘G’. brasiliensis as far as care is concerned.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Sam.

nuchal man
    Participant

They can reach 8-10″. I did find females were quite a bit smaller than males.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool, thanks.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.