LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

German Blue Rams (EDIT: What Cichlid is this?)

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes German Blue Rams (EDIT: What Cichlid is this?)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Byron Hosking 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Coryboy21
    Participant

So I’m wondering if this fish is actually GBR or a Bolivian Ram…
    In the case that it is a Bolivian ram, can they hybridize with GBR’s and live peacefully with them? I have a 29g planted tank and there are adequate hiding places around the tank, so i was planing on getting a female GBR since this one is a male. I just want to make sure I know what species this actually is. Sorry if the picture isn’t high quality, they were the best I could get.

Any help is appreciated :)

IMG_0613.JPG

Byron Hosking
    Participant

From that photo, the fish is neither a Blue or Bolivian Ram.  I would suggest it is likely a female Apistogramma, though which I can’t tell.  Females of several apisto species are very similar with yellow ground colour and black vertical stripes.  With a clearer photo I’m sure one of the more knowledgeable cichlid members will know.

Byron.

Coryboy21
    Participant

The stripes can appear or disappear depending on its mood, the only thing thats constant is it’s eye stripe, and a slight red tinge in the edge of its caudal, pectoral, and anal fin Maybe these photos will help.

Photo-1-1.jpg

Photo.jpg

Byron Hosking
    Participant

It is common for the patterning on dwarf cichlids to darken and lighten according to the fish’s mood, environmental conditions, etc.  With the benefit of the additional photos I would tend to think this may be a species like Apistogramma regani, but I am not certain at all.  It most definitely is not Mikrogeophagus ramirezi or M. altispinosa (the two rams) not only by the colour/pattern but the body shape is too elongated as both rams are a tad more “chunky” than linear.  Did the store where you acquired it have any name attached to it?

Byron.

Coryboy21
    Participant

Yes the store sold it as a german blue ram though i figured it wasn’t after a few weeks. I thought it was the acclimation that caused the lack of color but apparently its a different species altogether. The fins do match that of a Bolivian ram, not to say that it is, but i think its a better way to describe it. It may be A. regani  but the fins aren’t round…

EDIT: http://www.fishbase.org/summary/26697 do you think A. maoe could be possible?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Well it looks like M. ramirezi to me.

Byron Hosking
    Participant

@Graham Ramsay said:
    Well it looks like M. ramirezi to me.

You may well be correct.  This may be a very young fish.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.