LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Glass Beads As A Substrate

Home Forums My Aquarium Glass Beads As A Substrate

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Fishwife 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Fishwife
    Participant

I’ve just been bought an AquaEl 37 Bowl, and love it. I’ts only 25 litre and I’ve been thinking of which substrate, being a bowl it only has a small base area, and although sand would look OK I’m not a big fan of it as I never think I get it clean enough. I’d like a bit of a change from gravel and was wondering if those big glass beads that used to be popular would do? I realise that being glass they wouldn’t hold bacteria, but there wouldn’t be much bacteria in ordinary substrate anyhow.

I’d be grateful for any comments and opinions

Bluedave
    Participant

I dont see why you couldn’t use them, assuming the bowl comes with it’s own filter media. Rooting plants probably wouldn’t thank you for it so if you were thinking of plants I’d say no.

Keeping them all shiny and clean might be a pain (although I suppose you could just fish them out and clean them?).

Eyrie
    Participant

Keeping it clean would be my concern as well, as the crud would fall through the gaps and be difficult to remove. The opposite is why it’s difficult to keep sand clean – the crud sits on the surface and is very visible.

The cycle bacteria would colonise the surface of the beads, although their preference is for the media in the filter.

Fishwife
    Participant

Thanks for your imput, I’ll have a good think before deciding either way. Looking at the base it’s a lot bigger than I originally thought, so I may just stick with smallish gravel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.