LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Goldfish

Home Forums My Aquarium Goldfish

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Rüdiger 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi Matt,

the idea is exactly the same as with the regular UGF: to employ the substrate as a biological filter medium, just the flow of water is reversed. The two main benefits are 1. opposed to regular UFG the filter intake doesn’t get clogged under the substrate and 2. if installed correctly, a lot less waste can settle on the substrate. But to make it really effective, one shouldn’t use the commercially available UGF elements but rather install slotted pipes. This is where the aforementioned d.i.y. comes in! ;-)

Regards

R.

poshsouthernbird
    Participant

Thanks Matt :)  One of the many things on my list of ‘stuff to do’ is a goldie caresheet along the lines of the SF ones, they’re a good ‘template’. Maybe I’ll run it by you if I ever get it done, if it’s up to scratch maybe you’d consider adding it to the SF profiles :)

Using slotted pipes for a reverse UG makes more sense, that would ease the flow nicely while still allowing a decent level of turnover.  I was thinking of the amount of flow you get from a spray bar but of course UG systems have a bigger run of piping than that which would even out and ease flow too :)

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks for the explanation Rudi – have you tried this method yourself?

Sue that would be great since it’s also on my ‘to-do’ list!

Rüdiger
    Participant

Yes Matt, I have. But that is many moons ago, more than I care to remember! ;-)

If memory serves, it was a 25 L tank at the time. I had set up one of these japanese “bonsai tanks” (for those who don’t know the term, it’s a cross between Aquarium and Paludarium). Filtration worked like a bomb!

These tanks are usually set up with “normal” ugf and the return water channeled over rocks and roots. So with my rugf set-up, I had to install a second pump to get all the moss and plants watered.

Regards

R.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.