LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Got A New Camera

Home Forums The Lounge Got A New Camera

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  keith565 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

keith565
    Participant

i got myself a new camera last week. a canon 20D. now all i have to do is read through the 5 volume instruction book and turn it on,lol.
    i found the on switch, yeah.lol.
    will get some pics posted AsAP but it’s all dark.oops. forgot the lens cap was still on

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Don’t read the instructions Keith, just press buttons and try everything. I got the Nikon D40 and after two days of trying to decipher the instructions I binned them and tried every setting and got away with a lot faster.

Richy
    Participant

sounds like a nice camera but if your camera skills are anything like your navagation driving round the north east then we may have to wait a while for photo’s /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

Graeme
    Participant

Looking forward to the pictures, Keith!

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Hi Keith,

Get the wireless transmitter(STE 2) and external flash (480EXII or 580EXII) for the extra umphhh!!! /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

I’m so jealous! I’d love a 20D

Matt
    Keymaster

Green-eyed monster is sitting over here too. Can’t wait to see pics of your fish with that beast Keith.

keith565
    Participant

i got it off a chap who originally advertised it on ebay. he only had it 2 months and i got it for £300 all in. not bad me thinks as it is in mint conditin. i got to get to grips with it and get a macro lens to photograph fish properly, but first few pics are encouraging also no matter how much i crop them they look good. here are my first attempts.
    sorry about the smudges, but i was so keen to get a few pics i forgot to clean the glass.

Attached files

dunc
    Keymaster

Keith.. try this, see if you have any luck:

• Shine a lamp in to the tank from above
    • Don’t use a direct flash – it saturates the colours on the fish and more often than not leads to reflection off the glass which can entirely spoil an image.
    • Set the camera’s ISO setting to 1600
    • Use aperture-priority mode and use the camera’s dial to turn the aperture as wide as possible [lowest number]. This will help keep the shutter speed as quick as possible, which is important for catching quick-moving fishes
    • Use the continuous auto-focus and multiple-shot cycle. NB: this step isn’t mandatory to this procedure and not recommended if you don’t have at least a 2gb memory card. You can use single shot focus and one shot cycle, but you’ll often find if you use the aforementioned settings, though you’ll take more “duff” shots, you’re more likely to get a really good one.
    • Snap away.. literally just follow your fishes around and hold the button down while the camera does all of the work /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

keith565
    Participant

ehhhh???? lmao. ok, will give it a go

dunc
    Keymaster

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Sep 15 2008, 12:16 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE (keith565 @ Sep 15 2008, 10:58 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    cheers mate. will do.
    oh, anyone know a good (cheap) place to get a macro lens

If you have an old telescope or old pair of binoculars you can do a diy version.
    Try this link for tips.
    TIPS
    Have a good look through the site as theres a few good tips /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    If all fails, look on ebay lol

dunc
    Keymaster

Heh I wouldn’t recommend a DIY version.. it’ll “nerf” [geek slang] the quality of the images heavily.. here is the cheapest quality macro lens you’ll find – it’s the one both Haji and myself use, but as we discussed in the Photography forum, the lighting is the most important attribute to consider when photographing fishes. You can get Sigma macro efforts for a lot cheaper which might fit your needs, but the quality difference is noticeable – colour saturation especially.

dunc
    Keymaster

Speaking of which I just purchased this and this as Haji suggested this little blighter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.