LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Gravid Chinese Cobitis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Gravid Chinese Cobitis

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  coelacanth 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Thomas

Hi,

One (at least) of my female chinese Cobitis has eggs in her belly. I’ve noticed that some females will be plumper, but so far I couldn’t see the eggs. Today one female was in the front of the tank and with a loupe I could have a closer look. The pic isn’t very good, but I hope you can see the same as I.

Thomas

Plaamoo
    Participant

Looks like eggs to me. Do you have males Thomas? Beautifully marked fish!

Thomas

Yes, not many, 4 males against 14 females

Matt
    Keymaster

Lucky guys!

Thomas

As I know the “german” Cobitis spawns only one times a year – late spring early summer. The spawning happens in shallow water.

My idea is to wait a few days (or weeks) and then beginning to reduce the water level and start to heat the tank a little bit.

Another idea is: Do nothing and hoping for the best… /unsure.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:unsure:” border=”0″ alt=”unsure.gif” />

Thomas

Here is a pic with the complete loaches.

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Very cute.

Thomas

Yes, another group of this species are outside in my mothers garden at 5°C at the moment. I have too much of them, so one group (8) is in my tank, and one group (10) is in a cement bucket (ø 60cm). Both works fine.

Matt
    Keymaster

I reckon leaving the ones outside to it might work – it’s what I do with the Aphanius. Just increase feeding at the right time and let nature do the rest!

andy rushworth
    Participant

I seem to remember a chap in England had some success when he brought his C.biwae indoors , he thought it was a little cold for them outside , when he put them in a unheated aquarium they spawned !
    Good Luck

coelacanth
    Participant

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Apr 6 2010, 05:45 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I seem to remember a chap in England had some success when he brought his C.biwae indoors , he thought it was a little cold for them outside , when he put them in a unheated aquarium they spawned !
    Good Luck
    Author
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.