LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Green Algae

This topic contains 65 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Sofia 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Sofia

OMG So long I haven’t posted.

Well,
    gH is 2
    pH is 7.2
    Ammonia is 0
    Nitrite is 0
    Nitrate is 10

The water has been stable and I had no more fish deaths. Opposite I had a gravid Platy.

The last Guppies tail is regrowing now and he is holding on. I have however got a problem with algae and was considering taking the Oto into the bigger tank and getting a new mate for the Fighter, but that’s uncertain yet.

Thanks for all the help

dunc
    Keymaster

Hehe good news then Sofia, sounds like your tank is settling down nicely. Shame you had all the problems at the beginning but at least you’re on top of everything now

Matt
    Keymaster

Dunc´s asking this as different kinds of algae might only be eaten by certain fish species Sofia.

dunc
    Keymaster

Yer, was gonna suggest other ways of keeping the algae down too

Sofia

Brilliant /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Sofia

It’s not slimy and very tough to get off the glass too

dunc
    Keymaster

Urgghh that stuff on the front glass is a pain, really needs to be scrubbed

Sofia

Oh, brilliant. I shall convince the other half to take me fish shopping this weekend then /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

EDIT: I have scrubbed it with the plastic rough scrubby thin I got, but it won’t budge

Matt
    Keymaster

What´s in there now Sofia? Dunc is really good at growing that particular algae too!

Richy
    Participant

how old are your light tubes? Should be replaced approx every 12 months really. Do you have high phosphates as this could also be causing the problem.

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah, come to my conservatory, I can grow you any kind of algae you like

Matt
    Keymaster

It´s a new tank Richy so shouldn´t be the lights. Could be Phosphates though as I know some parts of London have high levels in the tapwater….

Sofia

The whole tank is now only just over 3 months old and so are the tubes. i don’t know about phosphates. How can I find out?

I have:
    5x Harlequin
    5x Croaking/Sparkling Gouramis
    4x Platies
    1x Guppy
    1x Neon
    1x Ram

EDIT: I use ro water that I add RO Right to to make it suitable for Bettas, etc.

Richy
    Participant

if you have a look here it will help you find exactly what kind it is ALGAE

EDIT* some lfs’s might be able to test for phosphates but most marine centres should have a kit to test for you. I have a salifert one but D-D phos kits are the best.

Sofia

Green Dust Algae I think is what I am after. Seems to be easily fixed…if i knew how to increase the CO2 in my tank and add nutrients…

Description Forms on the glass creating a dusty appearance across the glass. Sometimes so bad you can’t see into the tank.

Cause Low CO2. Low nutrients. Quite common on new setups.

Removal Easily removed with a magnetic glass scraper or similar. Often reappears very quickly. Allow the algae to run its full cycle by leaving it well alone for 3 weeks. It may become unsightly but just bear with it. Then scrape it all off and do a large water change. Sometimes requires a second treatment to fully clear and leaving it for 4 weeks. Recommended to slightly reduce dosing during treatment.

Thanks Richy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.