LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Guadeloupe shrimps ID

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Guadeloupe shrimps ID

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  torso 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

torso
    Participant

Hi

A friend brought some shrimps from Guadelupe. Does anybody have an idea?

Cheers Charles

Garnele-guadelupe-blennius-1-1.jpggarnele-guadelupe-blennius-2.jpggarnele-guedelupe-blennius-3.jpggarnele-guadelupe-blennius-4.jpggarnele-guadelupe-blennius-5.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Can’t make the images zoom for some reason Charles?

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi Charles.
    Indeed difficult to tell from those thumbnails but from body shape and patterning I’d go for some Atyopsis or Atyoida sp. ??? (tendency certainly towards Atyoida)
    Perhaps you could post new, expandable images?
    Regards
    R.

torso
    Participant

Hi Rüdiger

Sorry to let you wait. I could finally take over the three shrimps as well as Poecilia reticulata, all from Gouadeloupe.

Three specimen with different colouring, may be even different Species. And furthermore the patterns are different too.Atyoida could fit.

First pics show, how the green specimen darkened.

It seems, that all are males. Would be difficult to breed them anyway as the are certainly amphidromous.

Cheers CharlesDSC_2449.jpgDSC_2445.jpgDSC_2407.jpgDSC_2408.jpgCSC_2426.jpgCSC_2427.jpgDSC_2422.jpgDSC_2432.jpgDSC_2433.jpg

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi Carles,

time is not a problem, still got a few years I hope. 😉 Beautiful specimens they are and my money certainly is on some Atyoida spp. but perhaps our scientist are better placed to comment?

What’s the size of those buggers?

Regards

R.

torso
    Participant

They are at 4 cm by now, Rüdiger

A. gabonensis, A. pilipes, Atyopsis moluccensis are in the import actually.

Cheers Charles

Matt
    Keymaster

There appear to be at least two species in the new pics Charles. The one with the stripe along the dorsum looks like an Atya (A. scabra or A. innocous?) and the one in the last two shots seems to be Micratya poeyi or something similar.

Just guessing though, we could really do with a shrimp expert’s opinion.

Rüdiger
    Participant

I am certainly not a shrimp expert but still have to disgree with you Matt.

As for Atya spp., the specimens in the photos lack the enlaged third pair of pereiopods typical for Atya?

for the possible second species, M. poeyi isn’t a bad guess at all but all specimens I have seen so far, photo and live, showed 3 very clearly defined “saddles”, which were always “framed in a contrasting color.

But that’s just my humble bit of very limited knowledge and I would realy like to know for sure.

Regards

R.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool. :) So which Atyoida spp. are native to Guadeloupe?

Rüdiger
    Participant

THAT is a good question indeed and just serves to show how little of an “expert” I am. 😀

None of the currently described Atyodia spp. distribution is anywhere close to Guadelupe. 😳 I was clearly guided by visual impressions here. 

I shall keep my trap shut in future. 😉

Regards

R.

Matt
    Keymaster

The question was a genuine one – don’t know much about shrimp! What’s a pereiopod?

Rüdiger
    Participant

@matt said:
    The question was a genuine one – don’t know much about shrimp! What’s a pereiopod?

No worries Matt, I took it as such and my answer was as genuine, I was clearly wrong with my ad hoc bet on Atyodia spp.! Should have done my homework before voicing that opinion. Just by looking at them, without counting anything, the do look most similar to that genus though.

To my knowledge, pereiopods are the legs the shrimp actually walks on plus those adapted for feeding.

Regards

R.

torso
    Participant

Hi

You are the expersts.

I just had the chance to mesure after exuviating: the green specimen is 7 cm by now, the one with the yellow stripe 6 cm. As the tank is full of plants and weed I couldn’ spot the third. Seems they have the same rythm.

If I don’t misinterpret the pics I see at least two different genus and at least two species. Whar do you think?

Cheers Charles

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.