LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Hardy fish for beginner with soft water.

Home Forums My Aquarium Hardy fish for beginner with soft water.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Catre 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Catre, provided the temperature doesn’t drop below 16°C for prolonged periods I suspect your danios will be fine and might even enjoy a bit of fluctuation. :)

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi Catre,

Matt is absolutely right. If temperatures in the room you are keeping the tank in do not drop significantly below 16° C just forget about that heater. From experience I can tell you that the zebras as well as the white clouds really do appreciate the lower and fluctuating temperatures and show it with higher rate of activity and (come spring with rising temperatures) brilliant courting and mating displays.

Mine once endured (due to busted central heating) a period of 5 days at 12° C day and night (so did I btw.) without any signs of ill comfort. After that both species started spawning at 19° C still in the middle of winter (Ididn’t :smile:).

If you don’t want to take any risk, just as a safeguard, adjust that heater to it’s lowest setting, which ideally is 16° C but 18° C is ok too.

Regards

R.

Catre
    Participant

Thanks for the reassurance. The minimum setting is 18ºC. There is a cold snap here at the moment so I just put it on the minimum temp.

Can I just ask what would be the maximum size of shoaling fish I could add a group of (since my danios and WCMM shoal together and I have 6 of each already) since the golden barbs are too big at max size 75mm are too big.

I have been considering Odessa barbs as they are max 46mm (similar to danio size)? As you said earlier a max of 22 of that size I assume that would be ok?

Thanks for all the help you have been great!

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi Catre,
    for your setup, the Odessa barb Pethia (Puntius) padamya certainly is a better choice than ‘Puntius’ semifasciolatus. If you want to go with them and keep the stock of zebras and white clouds as is, I’d say a group of 10 will do nicely.
    When you introduce them to the tank, you might want to keep a keen eye on waterparameters for about 3 weeks. You basicslly double the bioload in the tank and now it will show if your filter has fully matured yet, thus can handle the load.
    As for the ‘help’, you are most welcome. If it saves just one fish from suffering and eventually expiring, it’s well worth every effort. 🙂
    So if you do have more questions, don’t be shy, just fire away.
    Regards
    R.

Catre
    Participant

I’m back again to ask even more questions.

Update: Still the same fish as before.

I haven’t been able to source the odessa barbs yet. Mainly because the local stores are small – one said they would get them in but I haven’t got back since as I work the same hours as they open. I am also still think about paradise fish if I managed to get some.

However I keep thinking I might move the WCMM into the 60*30*30cm tank and then add tiger barbs with the danios? Does that sound ok?

I am currently changing my substrate to sand from the gravel. Would I be able to get pepper cories along with the WCMM? I know they prefer sand.

I understand if the tanks are too small.

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi Catre,

apologies for the late reply but I’ve been extremely busy. But to your questions:

A shoal of 10 to 12 P. padamya should be perectly fine with D. rerio. I’d up the numbers of the zebras by about 4 at the same time as they’ll lose quite a chunk of their shoal when you remove the T. albonubes. I’m not too sure the barbs will shoal with the zebras.

C. paleatus and white clouds is ok too. You don’t have to really worry about the substrate too much. I have kept C. paleatus and am now keeping C. agassizii on pea gravel without any problems such as barbel injuries. The thing to avoid is rough, sharp edged gravel and perhaps one should vacuum the substrate more regularly.

Regards

R.

Catre
    Participant

It’s ok I only posted yesterday – didn’t expect a response so soon!

I actually really like the sand! The only thing now putting me off the idea of cories is that they might uproot my plants?

Rüdiger
    Participant

Mine don’t do anything to the plants. But if you want to be on the safe side, just put a couple of pebbles arond the stems.

Catre
    Participant

I’m back again and thought I’d resurrect this topic because I am asking the same question again (moved house and country for work).

According to my waterboard the water has a conductivity of 178uS/cm which would make it very soft.

Do you think I will need to buffer the water? I would rather just get fish that prefer living in soft water.

I was thinking of going for the suggestion you had for apistogramma?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.