LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Headstanding Tiger Barbs

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Headstanding Tiger Barbs

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Michelle 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

does anyone here know what makes a Tiger Barb do a headstand? I have a school of 10…they zing all around and then for some unknown reason they will point the mouth straight down like a leporinus and just hang in the water. Last time they did this they began dying off one by one. In the same water were happy Rosy B’s and rasboras.

Is this behavioral or water quality problem?

Matt
    Keymaster

It´s probably an inbreeding problem. I´ve seen them do this too. How big are they Reva?

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ Jun 24 2008, 02:15 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It´s probably an inbreeding problem. I´ve seen them do this too. How big are they Reva?

Full grown…as big as they get…um…almost walnut size..

Matt
    Keymaster

I´ll be honest, I´ve never kept this species.

Reva
    Participant

wow, it’s so cool to find people who know more about fish than i do. I can rarely get my questions answered locally. /ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” />

thank you ! The answer IS that I overfed them in trying to keep the Ctenopoma from eating the checker barbs. they get frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, fronzen spirulina, tetramin flakes, parboiled vegies etc. I have been overdoing the frozen worms most likely. Overfeeding things (from humans to dogs to fish) is one of my faults

Daspricey
    Participant

I remember reading that this is completely normal for tiger barbs to do this.

Matt
    Keymaster

If Mick sees this he might be able to shed some light on it…(AHEMMM, cough, cough….).

Eyrie
    Participant

7 o’clock is normal, but not as far as I know straight down.

mickthefish
    Participant

it is just a normal thing especially with tigers, but most barbs if you put a strong current in the tank will to some extent put their heads down in the current.

mick

Reva
    Participant

thank you everyone. This relieves my mind. Nobody looks sick, and they are at an angle ie 5:oo or 7:00 depending on which direction they are going. Do you think it could be one of those “I am just a hole in the water…pay no attention to me” kind of things they do in the presence of a percieved threat? Perhaps the Kribs are scarey ??? I do have a Rena filter a size bigger than the tank needs making a decent current and also two airstone bubblers going.

Matt
    Keymaster

If Mick says it´s normal I´d take that as read Reva, he´s something of a barb geek!

andy rushworth
    Participant

It might be worth altering the flow rate on the filter , so the Tigers dont have to swim at this odd angle ?

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE(botty @ Jun 25 2008, 01:06 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It might be worth altering the flow rate on the filter , so the Tigers dont have to swim at this odd angle ?

It is not that hard botty, and Hi! I havent met you before /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

FishyChef
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Jun 24 2008, 03:36 PM)
    it is just a normal thing especially with tigers, but most barbs if you put a strong current in the tank will to some extent put their heads down in the current.

mick

i started to notice this happening to my tiger barb a few minutes ago. it has been maybe 2 minutes since feeding ended and 30 min since lights on. she is facing either 7 or 5, as i have seen all of my tigers do at various points in the day, but oddly her black stripes are slightly greyed or blotched looking. this is the part that concerns me. thoughts?

Michelle
    Participant

My barbs do this on and off. I find my P. padamya and P. titteya do it more than my P. rhomboocelatus and P. pentazoa but they all do it. The P. titteya do it regularly, they tend to be active for a few days then hang around a lot. It concerns me when the P. padamya do it because they’re always so active, but they’re always fine after. Mine too is usually around the 5:00 or 7:00 mark. My filtration is about average.

I always think its them either digesting food or taking a bit of a breather. Mine tend to sleep in this position from time to time too!?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.