LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Help, Tips Needed!

Home Forums The Lounge Help, Tips Needed!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Richy 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Richy
    Participant

Hi, I’m having great problems trying to get a good photo of my Pseudomugil furcatus

They’re very fast and even with the flash on but i find it’s either too dark or too light. The main problem is trying to get the right eye colour, vivid blue.
    Is there a certain setting i should aim for to get a great pic of a fast moving fish with or without the flash.
    I have a Fuji finepix S5500 with no additional macro lenses. Would taking the “adaptor ring” off help me?
    Matt, if I do manage it you can use the photo for the knowledge base /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />
    The best I’ve got so far is a capture from my webcam but not great quality

Bluedave
    Participant

Mate, the only advice i can give is take lots of photos using differnet settings, with ot without the adaptor and flash. Works for me – quantity eventually leads to one good pic…………

dunc
    Keymaster

See if you can get some more light in through the top of the tank.. lamps, torches, whatever.

Turn all external lighting (room lights etc) off to avoid reflections.

Try dropping a cube of bloodworm in before you settle down to take the pictures, then concentrate on the cube rather than the fishes. If your camera has the ability to shoot continuously with auto focus, set that to on and snap away until you’re out of shots. Hopefully a couple will be reasonable

geoffkemp
    Participant

I`ve found digitial macro mode works well when taking shots of my Tetras, though it is more a case of taking a lot of shots and hoping a few come out well. I seem to find the ratio improves with DM mode over the others.

Also try siting yourself at about a 45 or so degree angle from the glass, rather than trying to take them “head-on”

Matt
    Keymaster

Where’s Mike when you need him?

mickthefish
    Participant

iv’e just read the posts mate, haha
    I use a smallish tank with a flourescent tube on top when taking pics for this type of fish and keep your flash on, but like most that have said loads of pics and sort out the best of them.

mick

Richy
    Participant

I can’t use the flash as it removes/washes the blue from the eyes. The fish are in a community tank and i won’t move them for photo purposes only although i did think about it but i don’t want to stress them out. I’ve taken well over 500 pics on different settings, auto, manual, aperture and shutter and have 2 photo’s but i’m not happy with them /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

thats why i use the florescent to counteract the flash, if you look at the lampeye i posted you can see the blue over its eye, but they have to be moved into a phototank for that.
    iv’e taken loads of pics like this with no ill effect to the fish, they’re not in the tank long enough to do any harm.

mick

Richy
    Participant

Ok, i’m going to try that but need to sort a box out first /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.