LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Help With Id Please

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Help With Id Please

This topic contains 54 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author

keith565
    Participant

can anyone ID these fish for me. bought them as hong Kong plecs (thanks to a friend not far away

dunc
    Keymaster

Is that a Sewellia lineolata? Looks similar to the ones I’ve seen, but quite a bit lighter. The other S. lineolata I’ve seen are darker, or at least have more of the dark patterning. Reference link here.

geordie John
    Participant

Yep ,
    Thats a Sewellia l.
    They like cool water and a good flow with plenty of oxygen. They can be a bit shy and teritorial though dont injure one another.
    All the best,
    G.John

mickthefish
    Participant

definitely S lineolata bud,
    it’s a very interesting fish to study, in general they don’t like each other.
    i have 10 of them and at any one time the most i’ll see is 3 of them.
    john has given you the coditions for keeping them to a tee bud.

mick

Reva
    Participant

Pretty! I love plecs

keith565
    Participant

thanks guys. i’ve got them in the coolest tank in the fish house and turned the filtration right up. they seem to have settled in well.
    i’m hoping to get another one or two with the hopes of getting them to breed.

dunc
    Keymaster

They’re gorgeous fish.. shame I don’t have any room in the house cool enough to keep ’em

Daspricey
    Participant

Nice find Keith, sewellia are a really nice fish! /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

It’s a shame that they are often called called “hong kong plecs” or “coldwater plecs” instead of hillstream loaches as they are loaches, don’t originate from hong kong and they are subtropical not coldwater. http://www.loaches.com/articles/breeding-sewellia

dunc
    Keymaster

Indeed bud. Hong Kong plecs, honestly

Malti
    Participant

they look like plecs though…never seen them but they look great

Eyrie
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Jul 30 2008, 09:52 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They’re gorgeous fish.. shame I don’t have any room in the house cool enough to keep ’em

dunc
    Keymaster

My room is usually about 28 :/

Eyrie
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Jul 30 2008, 10:49 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My room is usually about 28 :/

Good grief! Is the whole house that bad? My lounge is 26C at the moment, and that’s uncomfortable for indoors.

(waits for Matt to top us both).

mickthefish
    Participant

my lounge temp is the same as yours Eyrie 26C and thats the coolest it’s been for days now.

mick

mickthefish
    Participant

sorry i must have done sommat wrong with the vid, my excuse is i’ve been in the boozer as it’s the wifes birthday and she can’t have all the fun.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.