LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Help! :(

This topic contains 40 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Adam
    Participant

Sorry mate I can’t find anything out from Northbumbling Water.

I do know whatever it was, it wasn’t a region wide / large area dose. That doesn’t mean that they didn’t dose just your treatment area / street though.

Would bet that is what happened though. If I were you I would keep diluting the problem, ideally with water from an alternative source at least for the time being. Are you R/O?

Certain chemicals can damage the membranes so it would be worth checking with a TDS If you have one

Small water changes to balance the stress with the benefits. You could consider purchasing some R/O water until things are more settled.

Good Luck

dunc
    Keymaster

Thanks Adam,

They seem to be alright now. I’m gutted about all of the losses, especially the gorgeous Corydoras and the stunning little Geophagus steindachneri, but at least my daemon are all still alive – I was seriously concerned about the smallest for a while but the white clouding over his eye has gone and he isn’t showing his stress colours any more.

They’re back to being active (and nervous!) so I’m fairly sure I’m safe again now.

So frustrating though

dellag
    Participant

no probs. I’ve had no more problems either.

Della

Matt
    Keymaster

At least things have settled down mate. Nice one

Wargh

Glad everything is back to normal Dunc … and really glad tha we didnt get anything like that in my area!

dunc
    Keymaster

Well I still have no idea what it was and that’s a pretty scary thought.. I lost so many fishes

Ross
    Participant

i might sound dumb here but what is an r/o unit and whats it do?

Adam
    Participant

R/O = Reverse Osmosis is a way of filtering water to potentially remove 99%+ of the impurities it contains before adding it to your aquarium. Mains supply water (usually at high pressure) is passed through semi-permeable membrane (think extremely fine mesh) that sits inside a plastic chamber.

This membrane allows water molecules to pass through, but not others. Minerals, trace and other elements are removed producing pure raw water. Which is actually is too pure for aquaria use without adding new elements (re-mineralising) or combining with some mains water.

An R/O unit may have other component stages attached to it to remove more of the remaining impurities so less than 1% impurities remains (DI filter) And more importantly a number of stages prior to the delicate membrane to protect it i.e. (prefilters) sediment and carbon filter.

Basically using such a filter gives you a blank canvas in water chemistry terms to work from to alter for example pH & hardness. Perhaps more importantly it gives you confidence that you won’t be adding unwanted elements when you carry out a water change from chlorine, nitrates & phosphates to heavy metals.

Nicolapompicola
    Participant

There’s not any chance that the fish could’ve got chilled at all is there?

dunc
    Keymaster

Hehe nah, the room is ridiculously hot even without the heater – 27degrees is the minimum possible water temperature

Matt
    Keymaster

Dunc’s fish are notoriously chilled due to the “recreational” herbs his mum smokes…

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.