LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Hemirhamphodon Tengah

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Hemirhamphodon Tengah

This topic contains 30 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  dunc 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

oaken
    Participant

Does anyone here have any experience with this fish? Got a group of 7 in December, got 6 left, 3 males and 3 females. Recently moved the biggest male and the three females to their own 30 litre tank (45x30x22). Yesterday I saw the first spawn, but unfortunately I also have a bunch of P. wingei in there that I used to cycle the tank, and of course they munched on the eggs

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Oaken

Very little but it might help?

H. tengah has the long common name of Borneo redline tribal halfbeak. Scientifically named by Anderson and Collette in 1991. Grows to a size of 3.6cm. From Southern Borneo and Indonesia. Here it is found in soft water with a pH no greater than 6. Young are few in number but strong.

Regards David

oaken
    Participant

Thanks for the information David.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

The only things I would add to Davids answer is that Aqualog have them as a 6cm fish, and the only ones I have seen before weren’t far off 5cm, from what I know they also like higher temps from 75’F up to 85’F and they seem to prefer their tank lighting very subdued almost dark.

mickthefish
    Participant

Pete & Paul at Bolton museum are keeping and breeding this species, i’m not a livebearer fan but i must say they are very pretty beasties.
    if offered any i would’nt say no.
    i hope either one of the lads see this post so they can give you the info needed.

mick

oaken
    Participant

Mad Duff: they dont seem to mind a bright tank as long as you place something over the tank to make a “dark spot”. But yeah, they definitely grow larger than 3.6cm, mine are all probably 5-6cm.

Mick: Yeah, the males are amazing in the right light, need to try and get a good picture of my big male. And I’ve read about their success over at petfrd, but would be cool if they would chime in here

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

I can add a little extra. When this specie went forward for scientific classification there was much debate as to an exact status as they are more pipefish in nature than halfbeak.

Regards David

dunc
    Keymaster

Image doesn’t really do it justice, I’ve seen these somewhere before, but I can’t for the life of me remember where /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

oaken
    Participant

Interesting David, where did you read that?

Dunc, thats not a H. tengah. Looks more like a H. phaiosoma I think.

The pictures here: http://www.nothobranchius.de/html/hemirhamphodon.html are the only ones that come close to showing the colours they can display. The two stripes on the males really are electric blue/green.

mickthefish
    Participant

i remember the lads saying something about that paper.
    i have seen the eggs and new born fry, one interesting thing is their beaks look bent/ deformed but as they grow it straightens out.
    Dunc and Matt will have seen them at the museum.

mick

oaken
    Participant

Here is an old picture from december, taken without a flash so its a bit blurry:

Matt
    Keymaster

Amazing-looking species.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Lovely looking fish

dunc
    Keymaster

Ahhh yes, that would explain that then

Matt
    Keymaster

LOL @ slavedriver! /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.