LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Heterandria/pseudoxiphophorus Tuxtlaensis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Heterandria/pseudoxiphophorus Tuxtlaensis

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  keith565 9 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

keith565
    Participant

i picked up a small group of these on sunday at solway open show.
    not seen or heard of them before. there was some great info with them taken from the Livebearer news 23.
    a quick run down of them. if anyone knows more about them i’d be interested. they are about 40mm at the mo and not showing any sexual diversity which is worrying as max size for males is stated as 49mm.

the geometric morphometric analysis showed that H tuxtlaensis has a short and more posterior dorsal fin and narrower peduncle of relative H bimaculata. H tuxtlaensis has a small head, short dorsal fin anda short dorsal surfae relative to H Bimaculata which has a large head andd an arched dorsal surface and a long dorsal fin.

H Tuxtlaensis is a moderate sized heterandria (up to 49mm sl for males and 75mm sl for females). it is relativelt slender, with a short dorsal fin, shallow caudal peduncle and a short audal fin. in females the head is relatively narrow and the anal fin is relatively short.

etymology:- Named for the type and only known locality of the species the Tuxtla Mountains of veracruz, Mexico.

Disribution:-is endemic to catemaco and tributaries of the lake and Rio Grande de Catemaco above the falls of El Salto de Eyipantia.

remarks:- H Tuxtlaensis constitutes the 6th endemic species of the 12 indigenous fishes of lake Catemaco. future research might reveal that the remaining species are endemic to the lake.
    five of the fishes in lake Catemaco are poeciliids, the other endemic species is a characid, Bramocharax caballeroi. possible other new species include a clupeid, Dorosoma, two pimelodids of the genus Rhamdia and a cichlid similar to Vija fenestrate. the level of endemicity compliments finding that the lake is ancient and well seperated from surrounding fish populations
    (livebearer news, 23, pg 14/15)

Attached files

keith565
    Participant

paper 2008.
    http://wfscnet.tamu.edu/faculty/tdewitt/Mc…)%20Zootaxa.pdf

Matt
    Keymaster

Ooh very nice! Is the genus name in question Keith? Here is a pic from the paper of adult male and female.

Ref: McEachran, J.D. and T.J. Dewitt 2008 A New livebearing fish, Heterandria tuxtlaensis, from Lake Catemaco, Veracruz, Mexico (Cyprinodontiformes: Poeciliidae). Zootaxa 1824:45-54

…and from Fishbase:

I see why you’re worried now mate; the differences are quite pronounced.

Gambusia aurata:

Gambusia vittata:

Attached files

keith565
    Participant

thanks Matt, hmm, i wonder if mine are still a bit young, but i am a bit worried, however,i’m sure i can get in touch with the breeder if need be. those fish look a lot bigger than mine, perhaps mine stiill need to grow out more to sex.
    i’m not 100%sure why the name was listed as such, they seem to be under the name heterandria rather than pseudoxiphophorus, but i know as i’m sure most folk do, names are changed like the weather.lol, also they do look like the bimaculatus i’ve seen in the past under the pseudoxiphophorus name.
    still a fab looking fish.
    thanks for the info mate, much appreciated.

keith565
    Participant

oh, i wouldn’t mind some of those gambusia.lol

oaken
    Participant

Nice fish! But yeah, I’d be quite worried too

retro_gk
    Participant

The fish in the OP match Heterandria bimaculata.

**baitman**
    Participant

QUOTE (retro_gk @ Jul 22 2009, 08:37 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

also got a look of brachraphis sp not sure of spelling

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (retro_gk @ Jul 22 2009, 08:37 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

i’ve got to agree with you there. will see how they change as they get bigger, but certainly have a look of bimacs

Cool_Citrus
    Participant

intresting new find, pitty all the fish from mexico are bland

dunc
    Keymaster

There’s a load of pretty fish endemic to Mexico :]

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool Citrus; are you kidding me? /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (Cool_Citrus @ Aug 8 2009, 05:00 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    intresting new find, pitty all the fish from mexico are bland

Attached files

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.