LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Hikari Tropical Shrimp Cuisine…

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Hikari Tropical Shrimp Cuisine…

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Malti 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Daddyfish
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I’ve noticed that Hikari Tropical Shrimp Cuisine has Copper Sulfate as an ingredient, so won’t this be harmful to the shrimp? I’m new to shrimp keeping having taken ownership of 21 Red Cherry Shrimp yesterday, but having done some research before receiving them I found out that copper is very harmful to shrimp, so what gives?

By the way, any help/hints/advice will be greatly appreciated from the more experienced shrimp keepers among you! /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Neil

Bully
    Participant

Trace amounts of copper are essential for shrimp as it is used for transporting oxygen, much like haemoglobin carries oxygen for humans. However, it’s a fine line between necessity and toxicity where invertebrates are concerned. The levels that are in shrimp cuisine are fine for shrimp. That being said, if the shrimp are sharing a tank with fish then I would not bother getting the food for them, it’s unlikely they’ll get to it before the fish will. The shrimp will just as happily consume standard fish food.

Malti
    Participant

what bully just said…and if you have fish with them and are concerned they won’t find any food, just drop in some when you switch off the lights, will give them more than ample chance to eat

Daddyfish
    Participant

Cheers chaps, yeah there is fish, my son picked himself three guppies out earlier today (not my choice), so I’ll keep the Shrimp food in the wings.

keith565
    Participant

got to say i have bred many shrimps over the last few years and never spent a penny on this ‘shrimp’ foods.
    they will scavenge and get morsels of food left by the fish and pick the algae off the rocks and substrate. don’t worry about feeding them specially.

Daddyfish
    Participant

Cool…thanks again chaps! /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (Daddyfish @ Jan 30 2011, 10:28 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Cool…thanks again chaps! /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

the shrimps should be fine with the guppies, i keep shrimps with all sorts of livebearers,limias, poecilia, even some goodeids. they will pick off some of the smallest baby shrimps, but the shrimps will increase in numbers. probably just shy at the moment, they will come out in time.

Daddyfish
    Participant

QUOTE (keith565 @ Jan 30 2011, 10:52 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    the shrimps should be fine with the guppies, i keep shrimps with all sorts of livebearers,limias, poecilia, even some goodeids. they will pick off some of the smallest baby shrimps, but the shrimps will increase in numbers. probably just shy at the moment, they will come out in time.

Cheers Keith…you’re a legend! I have one female carrying at the moment, so hopefully the majority of the those little guys will evade the Guppies.

Malti
    Participant

daddy, got RCS is tank with 2 huge plecos, 2 rams, about 6 gambusia/guppies mix,3 zebra danios, and a flying fox – and until some time ago had 4 discus aswell…if you give them enough hiding spaces, they can fool your 3 stooges

keith565
    Participant

not sure about a legend,lol

QUOTE (Malti @ Jan 31 2011, 12:43 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    if you give them enough hiding spaces, they can fool your 3 stooges /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Daddyfish
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Jan 31 2011, 12:43 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    if you give them enough hiding spaces, they can fool your 3 stooges /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> ok, but surely you don’t have Shrimp in your tank For them to hide away all day!?!?!

Malti
    Participant

daddy they do come out, but not when I’m around…except at night, then its like a mini mass meeting

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (Daddyfish @ Jan 31 2011, 02:39 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

they will come out, none of mine hide, nor even worry when I’m about pottering in the fishouse.

Daddyfish
    Participant

Thanks guys…it seems I have my Shrimp back! I also seem to have a number of shedded skins…another reason they probably disappeared.

Malti
    Participant

yep during moulting they do disappear…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.