LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Homaloptera sp. 'yunnanensis'?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Homaloptera sp. 'yunnanensis'?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

Another new one, for me. These are “Malaysian stone suckers”

Very shy. This is the first good look I’ve got and quickly snapped a pic.

Matt
    Keymaster

Looks like this one Jim? Something from the H. leonardi group and definitely not H. yunnanensis though it’s listed as such elsewhere. Reason for that is there are no commercial exports from the area of Yunnan in China where H. yunnanensis lives (Mr. Tree told me) and the one you have is nearly always found in shipments of H. smithi and/or H. tweedei which suggests it’s from Thailand.

They’re very cool and I’m bl**dy jealous! dry.gif

Thomas
    Participant

What’s with laos? fishbase counts H. yunnanensis as a native species together with H. smithi and tweediei. Is this right?

Matt
    Keymaster

Yunnan borders Laos so guessing that maybe it occurs in that periphery region? Still way out of range of commercial collectors though.

Plaamoo
    Participant

I’ve been looking at that profile Matt. I remember a discussion about these before. I got to the shop while they were still in the bag. These 2 and a smithi/tweedei looking fish. I’ve asked them to order more next week so see what comes?

Thomas
    Participant

Ah ok, thanks Matt. I’ve found five of these: two in a shipment of H. smithi (in this shipment were also a huge zollingeri) and three in another shop in a shipment of H. tweediei.

Plaamoo
    Participant

These are settling in a little but still very shy. I did get a quick peek today and a slightly better pic. I’ll get some good ones eventually!

Matt
    Keymaster

Looks like you’re doing a great job with them. What’s that cute characid in the background – some Axelrodia sp.?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.