LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Homemade Frozen Fish Food

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Homemade Frozen Fish Food

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Reva 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

This article from Loaches Online website, has step by step instructions for making your own frozen fish food. There are pictures, and looks like it would save us a lot of money. It could be alternated with frozen blood worms etc.
    http://www.loaches.com/articles/home-cooki…frozen-fishfood

Matt
    Keymaster

I used to make something similar Reva but with slightly different ingredients. Think Dunc tried it too. Can’t recommend this sort of food enough.

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah I used a full A4-sized sheet of Matt’s homemade frozen food and honestly every fish I’ve ever fed it to has gone crazy for it.

Reva
    Participant

Matt have you posted it on the site here somewhere? I would like to try yours too!

Matt
    Keymaster

I don’t think I’ve posted it before Reva so here you go; you’ll need a decent blender for this. vege-gel; I prefer to use this as it contains no animal extracts and imo is more suitable for fish.

• Plastic zip-lock bags.

Throw the thawed seafood and veggies into the blender then the garlic, pellets and Spirulina tablets. Add a bit of water so the blender can more easily work the mixture. If it still isn’t blending smoothly add a bit more water. Once it’s moving ok start to add flakes until the machine starts to have problems mixing the stuff and there are no visible lumps; now it’s thick enough. At this point you should prepare the gelatine as per the instructions on the pack; use all 4 sachets.

You should now have a smooth, thickish green(ish) mixture. When the gelatin is ready mix thoroughly into the mixture then pour onto a tray or trays and stand in the fridge for 30-40 minutes. It should now be a little set and can be stored in the freezer in the plastic zip-lock bags. To feed your fish simply break off the size piece you need and either thaw it a little in a cup of cold water or hold it in the tank until it sinks. If you do the latter you should get fish coming up to feed from your hand once they recognise it as food. You can alter the amount of ingredients depending on how much food you want to make but if you only have 2 or 3 tanks the recipe here should give you a good few months supply.

I should mention this was adapted from a recipe originally given to me by Lee Newman. Buen provecho!

dunc
Keymaster

(cough blog cough)

Matt
Keymaster

/wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Reva
Participant

Thank you Matt /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />
I think if you get the pics, it should be added to the site here purrrrmanently

Author
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.