LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

How Big To Accurately Id?

Home Forums My Aquarium How Big To Accurately Id?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Waterlogged

This may seem like an odd question relating to an odd bunch of fish species, but hopefully someone can help me. I am looking into getting more involved in keeping fish, but as I am only new to it I don’t want to get ripped off. Can anyone tell me at what size (in cms or inches) you can accurately ID the following species:

Butterfly Pleco
    Checkerboard Cichlid
    Bumblebee Catfish
    Paradise fish
    Licorice Gourami
    African Cichlid
    Golden Barb
    Sawbwa Barb

These are the species that I have been warned can be swapped for something else if they are too small, so I need to know what sizes I should look for.

Any help is appreciated

Plaamoo
    Participant

Hi Waterlogged. My first bit of advice would be to learn the true names of the fish you’re talking about. “licorice gourami” for instance is a common name for the parosphromenus sp. in my experience. P deissneri is the most common but there are many. It’s a daunting task to learn the “scientific” names as opposed to the common names, but common names vary from distributor to shop, different areas. I’ve seen the same fish in my LFS in two different tanks with 2 different names more than once!

Waterlogged

QUOTE (Waterlogged @ Jan 19 2011, 11:58 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    This may seem like an odd question relating to an odd bunch of fish species, but hopefully someone can help me. I am looking into getting more involved in keeping fish, but as I am only new to it I don’t want to get ripped off. Can anyone tell me at what size (in cms or inches) you can accurately ID the following species:

Butterfly Pleco
    Checkerboard Cichlid
    Bumblebee Catfish
    Paradise fish
    Licorice Gourami
    African Cichlid
    Golden Barb
    Sawbwa Barb

These are the species that I have been warned can be swapped for something else if they are too small, so I need to know what sizes I should look for.

Any help is appreciated

Waterlogged

I do know all the scientific names, but didn’t know that that is the best way to refer to them. The scientific names are as follows:

Dekeyseria pulcher
    Dicrossus maculatus
    Pseudomystus siamensis
    Lamprologus ocellatus
    Macropodus opercularis
    Myloplus rubripinnis
    Neolamprologus meeli
    Parosphromenus deissneri
    Puntis semifasciolatus
    Sawbwa resplendens

Only just starting to realise that there are various common names used for the same species!

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Whereabouts are you located ?

The reason I ask is that half the battle is to find a good retailer that know what they are selling, a lot of fish shops have staff that have no knowledge of the fish they are selling.

MatsP
    Participant

This question is a bit complicated, I believe. It depends, to some extent on “what are you comparing with – what are the alternatives”… Say for example you want to distinguish Pseudomystus siamensis vs. some of it’s south-american counterparts, it’s pretty easy – the asian form has 8 barbels, the south-american one has 6 barbels. So, bring a magnifying glass if they are tiny, but they should be at least an inch or two in the shop, so probably not necessary. It gets more difficult if you wanted to split apart the dozen or so with 6-barbels into the right species…

Matt
    Keymaster

If you want to identify Dicrossus down to species level you’d need to look at subadults I’d say.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.