LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

How Long Before Adding The Fish?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes How Long Before Adding The Fish?

This topic contains 32 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  galilee 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Headdy
    Participant

Hello; just joined this message board.

I’ve set up a new 120L tank for some fancy goldfish, having witnessed verbal bullying over tank sizes (on other sites) and goldfish per gallon etc. It’s currently empty.

My main question is, how long after starting the filter for the first time do you leave the tank, before putting the first fish in? With my first tank I left it for 10 days, but the tutorial on VideoJug suggests 2-3 days.

Also, quite a bit of foam appeared on the water surface after a while. This appeared to build up when the hood was closed. What could be causing the foam, and would it be harmful?

Either way, three separate tests with testing sticks showed that the water had 20ppm of nitrate, and zero nitrite.

dunc
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forums, Headdy http://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/index….ic=312&st=0

If you have a look at the first few posts of that thread, you will see the information I gave Sofia about “cycling” a tank and how it can be done.

If there’s anything you don’t understand or want questions about after that, hoy them in here and we’ll do our best to help you out

Headdy
    Participant

QUOTE(dunc @ Mar 15 2008, 05:18 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Welcome to the forums, Headdy http://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/index….ic=312&st=0

If you have a look at the first few posts of that thread, you will see the information I gave Sofia about “cycling” a tank and how it can be done.

If there’s anything you don’t understand or want questions about after that, hoy them in here and we’ll do our best to help you out

dunc
    Keymaster

What filter is in the new tank?

If the outflow is pointing at the surface of the water and is quite fervent, you’ll get “foam” at the top. Shouldn’t be massive amounts though unless the filter is really turning the water over.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Headdy. Unless you’re cycling the tank in some way, then it’s difficult to say how long you should leave it before adding fish. Theoretically you could put them straight in, but I’d always recommend cycling first. Can you get a picture of the “foam”?

Oh and Dunc, 10 extra points for use of the word “fervent” in a goldfish thread!

dunc
    Keymaster

/laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Headdy
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ Mar 16 2008, 11:19 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Can you get a picture of the “foam”?

No problem:

You probably can’t see it very well, but the filter is an internal one that also works as an air pump.

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Good grief /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> If it’s the latter I’d suggest turning it down a bit if possible as you said you’re keeping fancy goldfish which are never the best swimmers.

Also just to clarify my earlier point; I said you could add fish now “theoretically”. I’m not advocating this at all, and highly recommend you cycle the tank before adding fish.

dunc
    Keymaster

QUOTE(Matt @ Mar 16 2008, 04:52 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That or the filter is turned onto “fervent” setting! /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

…..but darling…..I……

Headdy
    Participant

The filter does seem to be quite powerful. I’ll have to figure out a way of decreasing the power, as even on its lowest setting it makes foam.

Anyhow, I’m going with the household ammonia method of cycling.

dunc
    Keymaster

The best approach imo, Headdy

Headdy
    Participant

Joy. It was the filter making all that foam; I just disconnected the little tube that draws air from outside the tank, and the foam eventually went away.

Now back to getting high off ammonia fumes.

dunc
    Keymaster

Fervent filters, shocking

Matt
    Keymaster

How much ammonia do you need to get high Headdy?

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.