LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

How Not To Sell Corys

Home Forums The Lounge How Not To Sell Corys

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

ulster exile

So I’m on the lookout for some more corydoras sp “gold laser” (cw010) as I had a bit of a fishy disaster when I went on holiday and I’ve only got 4 left in the tank. The breeder I bought them from doesn’t have any atm and whilst I’d prefer to buy from him, I love these little guys so much I’m anxious to get more.

Saw an advert on aquarist classifieds by a Fish Shop for some “corydoras peru stripe” so thought I’d ask if they could take a pic to help identify them given how much confusion there is in the labelling of some fish. The response?

QUOTE (fish shop)
    Sorry simply do not have time to photo these. Hope you understand

Too right, I understand. I won’t be buying from that shop!!!

Richy
    Participant

i wouldn’t bother either!! I guess they’re not in a hurry to sell them!! I would of taken a photo if it were me.

ulster exile

QUOTE (Richy @ Nov 19 2008, 08:32 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i wouldn’t bother either!! I guess they’re not in a hurry to sell them!! I would of taken a photo if it were me.

Thing is, they’re a shop and surely they should be making some effort to try and sell their products. Cheap as they are, I’m not going to fork out for a pile of fish and postage when I’ve no idea what I’m getting.

Richy
    Participant

i work a few odd days in an lfs, even get new stocklists sent to me via email from the supplier and do research at home, all unpaid but I do it because of my love and passion for fishkeeping. You just have to ask Keith and G John the efforts I put in to help them, and the shop of course. Everytime I get a new list i’ll ask them if they need anything, tell them if i see something on the list which may interest them and take pics if necassary of anything different which comes in.
    I agree, the shop should take more interest/time if they want to promote/sell things especially theses days as money is tight for everyone. I get the impression they’re not too bothered and would just prefer money in the till. They should put that little extra effort in, get a good customer relationship. This brings people back!!
    oops, ranted a little, sorry lol

ulster exile

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there – most lfs have (ime) very little interest in developing a relationship with the customer. There have only been two fish shops which have ever exhibited an interest in that and unfortunately for me both are too far away for me to visit regularly.

Thing is, I’d much rather go into a shop and talk to staff, but most appear to be scared of talking with anybody who has even the tiniest knowledge of fishkeeping. I don’t want to spar knowledge with staff, because I’m sure there are a lot of people who are veritable fonts of information whereas I know a few snippets from here and there. I just want to be able to talk to them about the fish and perhaps get them to order stuff in for me.

They would easily get my money instead of internet retailers if they bothered trying

mickthefish
    Participant

it’s a shame you was’nt a the CSG auction last sunday they sold about six bags of them at least.

mick

ulster exile

I heard there were some there! I’ve never been at an auction as they’re usually a bit out of the way (usually in Darwin?) and I wouldn’t go on my own, but every time I hear there is one, I want to go!

It’s my own fault really – I didn’t ask the breeder about them when I knew he had some, but I was busy doing other stuff and have left it until his last spawn have gone. So I either play a waiting game for his next spawn (assuming he wants to sell to me) or I buy the ones off Corys4u.

mickthefish
    Participant

it was in Darwen bud, they were’nt fullers fry but a mate said they were very good.
    so you’ve never been there?.
    next time it’s on you want to go as i know alot of the fish are from good breeders, who have really good stock.

mick

ulster exile

Never been there. Yes, you guessed it, my last lot were Ian’s. I’ll try and get to the next one and see if I can drag someone with me lol! The next one is the convention in March I think?

I’ve got Sat Nav on my phone now, so the world’s me oyster!

Thanks Mick.

mickthefish
    Participant

Ian?. no one calls him that here we just say fuller.
    he must be a mate of yours for you to call him that.

ulster exile

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Nov 20 2008, 01:43 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ian?. no one calls him that here we just say fuller.
    he must be a mate of yours for you to call him that. /ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” /> (unless you count having a subscription to CW world being a mate lol). I got the corys off him through somebody I knew on a forum. Very nice bloke. Also met him in a shop he worked in and when he was chatting to me, he was also putting a couple of pirhana’s in a bucket – I think they were pirhana’s anyway as they took a chunk out of his net and his hand while he did so!

I was told I had to call him “god” lol! Now he’s the sort of person you’d like to meet in a fish shop – there’s few people you can chat to who’ve written books on the subject!

mickthefish
    Participant

never call anyone god bud, i know him quite well, he’s good but not that good.

ulster exile

In comparitive terms, God works for me – what is they say, “in the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king”? I was struck a bit dumb when I saw “Fuller’s” fishhouse – at that point I’d never heard of people doing that alone.

So you know which shop I was referring to then? I believe it was Mark who served me on a separate occasion – I was afraid to talk to him as I thought if I did I’d end up walking out of there with some cichlids lol

mickthefish
    Participant

yeah i know the shop and Mark, he’s good with his cichlids though.
    i do travel about with a mate to see what i can pick up.
    i have a fish room like that but with bigger tanks. and the blower and RO and Purifier, don’t do a water change manually it’s piped out to the drain and fresh is pumped to the tanks. and they’re all seperately run tanks not a central system as i have fish with different water para’s.

mick

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Nov 20 2008, 11:19 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yeah i know the shop and Mark, he’s good with his cichlids though.
    i do travel about with a mate to see what i can pick up.
    i have a fish room like that but with bigger tanks. and the blower and RO and Purifier, don’t do a water change manually it’s piped out to the drain and fresh is pumped to the tanks. and they’re all seperately run tanks not a central system as i have fish with different water para’s.

mick

can me and the kids be adopted by u mick? we live in the fish-house

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.