LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

How To Identify Pleco From Ancistrus

Home Forums My Aquarium How To Identify Pleco From Ancistrus

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  MatsP 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

JazzBora150
    Participant

can someone tell or show me how to know the difference between a pleco and an ancistrus when they are young

ive got 2 small ones and need to know which they are

i dont want pleco as they will grow too big for my tank

cheers.

MatsP
    Participant

I take it you mean “Common pleco”, as if I read your post literally it’s like asking “How do I tell a sparrow from a bird?”.

The easy way (although if they are really small, it can still be hard) is to count the number of rays in the dorsal fin – easier if you can get a good photo. If there is more than 8 rays (count at the base, as they have branches near the edge of the fin.

Most common ancistrus also have a clear pattern of light-coloured spots on a dark grey/brown body, where the common pleco is more of a mottled brown pattern. This is a bit harder tho.

You could always post a photo…

JazzBora150
    Participant

photos proving hard to get but they will come

regards the 8 rays which one has more you didnt mention which

MatsP
    Participant

Doh! 8 rays is an Ancistrus [unless they are L071/L181/L249 (9) or Ancistrus dolichopterus (12)] . More than 10 [aside from A. dolichopterus] is a Pterygoplichthys.

Of course, the full story isn’t as simple as that. There are lots of plecos with 8 rays in the dorsal fin. But I’m assuming you have a fish that is likely to be one or the other of common ancistrus or common pleco [or closely related].

Mats

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.