LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

How To Pic Your Fish?

Home Forums The Lounge How To Pic Your Fish?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Michelle 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Michelle
    Participant

Ok, so my other hobby is photography. I’m not too bad at it. But I am incapable of taking pics of my fish. I just cannot cope with the light level and in order to get a fast enough shutter speed I have to sacrifice depth and ISO and invariably end up with grainy, out of focus shots.

I see you all putting wonderful sharp images on here and wonder how on Earth do you manage it? Any tips?

Here’s a few of examples of what I’m on about. Excuse the krib she wasn’t too impressed by the camera, definitely her grumpy colours, she looked gorgeous two seconds before, just about to spawn me thinks. The Macmasters is a right show off though and currently trying to get his girl’s attention.

Attached files

Plaamoo
    Participant

External flash! And a quality macro lens. What camera are you using?

Do a search, there are threads here on the subject. Here’s one.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/index….;hl=photography

Colin
    Participant

100% as above ^ /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

your pics are a good start… but as you say depth of field and light is needed

what kit are you uisng

cheers
    Colin

Michelle
    Participant

Thanks Plaamoo. I had looked back along the threads and didn’t see any. Can you search this site?

Anyway: I have Nikon D5000, choice of lenses: 10-24mm (Nikon), 18-55mm (Nikon), 35mm (Nikon: the one I used above) or 70-300mm (Tamron, its macro and a fabulous lens even though its cheap). I’ve tried each as well as my little compact Panasonic DMC, all to no avail. The first pic above is the best I’ve ever managed of my fish.

Haven’t tried the flash though. I’m surprise the fish cope with that I’ve always avoided any flash around the tanks. I’ll give that a go but as a landscape nut I don’t have external flash so I’ll have to stick to the little stubby or mid range lens for now with the built in. If that’s more successful mayhap an external flash will be on my christmas list …

Michelle
    Participant

Oh we replied at the same time Colin, always manual, can’t recall the last time I used auto focus. I’m trying to keep the speed up but with the current light levels I haven’t gotten above 1/100, these were all at 1/80. I think the flash might be the missing link …

Are there any do’s and don’ts with flash and fish? Seems to me the fish would be somewhat miffed by the flash but having never tried I’ll go with your suggestion.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Click search at top right and type photography. That’s what I did to locate that link.

Find yourself an SB600 and you’ll wonder how you ever did without. I usually just set it on the top glass, very simple! Most of my fish don’t seem to care much. I don’t overdo it at any one time.

Colin
    Participant

Hi Michelle

I meant Manual as in the ability to control both the shutter speed and the aperture at the same time, my lens is usually set to AF. If using F16, 100 ISO 125ths/s shutter speed in manual shooting I usually get the pics I want with the whole fish in focus and not blurry.

Of course this needs the external flash – speaking of which it rarely causes a problem, even with spawning or brooding fish, sometimes the signal from the wireless flash controller on the hotshoe spooks the fish more than the flash…

cheers

Michelle
    Participant

Ah, got ya. /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Cheers for the help guys.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.