LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Hyalobagrus confusion

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Hyalobagrus confusion

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jakub 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jakub
    Participant

Hiya

As for a number of reasons I haven’t got myself a tank yet I am venting some of the frustration doing ‘research’ and looking for new ideas (for a smaller tank). Currently I’m trying to gather some info on Hyalobagrus flavus – very interesting and, conveniently, small species that I could build a tank around.

However it seems there are at least 3 latin names (and common names too) for a fish of the same appeareance. SF lists a Hyalobagrus flavus as Shadow catfish, also mentioning that it is sold as Pelteobagrus ornatus. In Baensh Aquarium Atlas (3rd english edition, 2007) there is a Hyalobagrus ornatus (origin: Malaysia, Indonesia) a.k.a. Ornate bagrid and also a Leiocassis argentivittatus (origin: China) a.k.a. Silver-line bagrid.

A several months ago I saw a fish that could have been any of the three(?) in an aquatic shop – I think they had it listed as a Yellow glass catfish (?).

Could anyone explain how many species are there and what is likely to be available in trade?

Matt
    Keymaster

Those three names refer to three different members of the family Bagridae as follows:

Hyalobagrus flavus is the common species in the trade.

Pelteobagrus ornatus is not currently valid and is synonymous with Hyalobagrus ornatus, with that name often applied incorrectly to H. flavus.

Leiocassis argentivittatus is currently known as Tachysurus argentivittatus and is related to the above two but quite different-looking.

There’s an article on Planet Catfish here which is well worth a read.

Jakub
    Participant

Thanks for that Matt. In the meantime I have also come across this on the same subject.

I am also looking for sympatric species that could make good tankmates and came up with the list below but that’s just based on region of origin. The only collection record I found is here and it wasn’t that helpful…

Here is my list of candidates, anyway:

– Betta falx(?)
    – Kottelatia brittani
    – Kottelatlimia katik
    – Pangio anguillaris
    – Pangio malayana
    – Pangio shelfordii
    – Puntius lineatus
    – Trigonostigma hengeli

Anyone aware of documented catches of flavus (and whatever was caught with it)?

Regards
    Jakub

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.