LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Hybrids In The Hobby.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Hybrids In The Hobby.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Jarcave
    Participant

So what do you guys and girls think about hybrids in the hobby? I thought I’d ask following on from comments made in the Parrot thread. Before replying, please remember that many fish you see in your LFS are technically hybrids. A lot of angelfish, discus and livebearers are the result of cross breeding different species. It’s not just parrot cichlids and flower horns.

Personally I have no problems with hybrids being created for the food market. We have a planet to feed after all, and if the resulting offspring of two Tilapia sp etc result in a food fish which is quicker to market than a true species, then I think this is a good thing.

But in the hobby, I think things are different. It’s dissapointing to see so many hybrid Synodontis catfish at your LFS now. With the likelihood of fewer species being available to the hobbyist in the future I think it’s a shame that importers are favouring these fish over natural species.

However, they’re in the business to sell fish after all. To be fair many people find them attractive (Not me), and so they do seem to sell well. There is an argument to say that they reduce pressure on wild caught fish too.

So what do you all think?
    Jared

Eyrie
    Participant

I’m against interfering with nature. A naturally occurring hybrid is OK, but not a man made one. Besides there are plenty of species out there to choose from without adding alternatives.

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 26 2008, 11:52 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’m against interfering with nature. A naturally occurring hybrid is OK, but not a man made one. Besides there are plenty of species out there to choose from without adding alternatives.

well said, my sentiments exactly.

mickthefish
    Participant

same as lads, but i have a feeling David will put his twopennies worth in.
    he likes hybrids.

Matt
    Keymaster

I don’t understand the use of necessity for these in the hobby when there are so many beautiful, naturally-occuring species out there. Unfortunately many hybrids do sell well, as many people seem to go for what is most attractive to them and to hell with the ethics….

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 26 2008, 12:26 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I don’t understand the use of necessity for these in the hobby when there are so many beautiful, naturally-occuring species out there. Unfortunately many hybrids do sell well, as many people seem to go for what is most attractive to them and to hell with the ethics….

I dislike them with a passion. Particularly those hybrids with resultant health problems. However I understand why they are popular, they’re usually nicely marked colourfull and cheap. I also think that there is a lack of understanding within the hobby. Too many people buy parrots and flowerhorns ets without knowing they are a hybrid. I think the world “hybrid” would deter some people from purchasing them…

Matt
    Keymaster

Yes, a lack of knowledge plus an unwillingness to learn in many cases (it seems to me)… this thread interesting…

Daspricey
    Participant

I agree with all of you guys! It also really bugs me when fish from completely different countries; ones that would never meet in the wild. If hybrids are natural though in the wild it’s a slightly different matter, possibly evolution?

I am also very worried in the amount of botiine loaches that are now being crossed by the Czech.

Malti
    Participant

How did they manage to mate a Gila with a snake? – what was the outcome animal? (pics maybe?)

Daspricey
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Jul 26 2008, 02:14 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    How did they manage to mate a Gila with a snake? – what was the outcome animal? (pics maybe?)

I’m afraid your asking alot there. It was a long time ago when i saw it in a article (I can’t even remember what the article was about; but i don’t think it was about fish), i don’t think there was a photo. I’ll have a good look around for you, i’ll see if i can find it.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Daspricey @ Jul 26 2008, 09:21 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’m afraid your asking alot there. It was a long time ago when i saw it in a article (I can’t even remember what the article was about; but i don’t think it was about fish), i don’t think there was a photo. I’ll have a good look around for you, i’ll see if i can find it.

cheers mate. – it’d be complex to say the least to mate them. its already hard to mate different snakes together, let alone a snake and a lizard

ndc
    Participant

main problem with all of this is that its not ‘mating’ – its all to do with genetic manufacturing, so the limits unfortunately are not to do with species anymore , its now down to how far we push things.

David Marshall
    Participant

David’s twopennies worth in – by request from me ‘old mate’ Mick

Yes I have, ethics apart, an interest in hybrid Synodontis. I see this as an extension to my ‘passion’ for these catfish.

I like to monitor the colour changes and growth patterns etc. of these hybrids, some of which are beautiful in colour. There is a good reason for this as I do a powerpoint presentation on Synodontis so this allows me to explain to members of the audience what is ‘real’ and what is ‘fake’ in the world of these remarkable fish.

The fault is with those wholesalers and retailers who do not make it clear that the Syno.’s they are either offering or selling are hybrid.

From the breeders point of view they can obtain, sadly, more viable fry through crossing Syno. speices than they can from breeding a pair of ‘as nature intended’ fish.

Regards David

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

David are these hybrid Synodontis produced via actual spawning events or the use of hormones? I ask as you used the word “viable” in reference to the fry.

Also do you think that the vast majority of retailers/wholesalers either know or care that they are shifting hybrid fish? I have my doubts…

Malti
    Participant

I had hybrid fish, couple of months ago – swordtail mollies…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.