LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Hydor Theo Heater

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Hydor Theo Heater

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Daddyfish 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Daddyfish
    Participant

Hi Guys,

It maybe just the fact that I’ve never had experience of a fish tank heater or it may be a problem with the heater itself, but the lite comes on and off. Is it supposed to do this or stay on constantly?

Can the heater be covered from site or will it effect it’s heating ability? At the moment I have it hidden behind bark, but the water flows over the top and around the sides. It’s set to 27 degrees, but I’m only getting near that if the temp gauge is right by it, the rest of the tank is only reaching mid-high 25 degrees.

MatsP
    Participant

The light on a heater usually indicates that the heater is “on” – that is that it’s heating at that point.

The light comes off when the heater thinks the water is the right temperature.

Most heaters aren’t that accurate at actually giving the water temperature matching their setting, so if you want 27’C, you may have to set it at 28’C. It also helps if there is good circulation at the point where the heater is located.

Mats

Daddyfish
    Participant

As always, your the man Mats!

That’s actually what I’ve been thinking, so you’ve put my mind at rest!

Eyrie
    Participant

Agree with MatsP. It’s better to have the heater in a high flow area to ensure an even temperature, so if the bark is blocking the current then I’d look to either aim the filter outlet behind the bark or alternatively move the bark.

At the moment the heater is warming the water around it, which isn’t circulating properly and so could be a little warmer than elsewhere which will trick the heater into switching off earlier than it should.

I’d also recommend using a thermometer at the opposite end of the tank so that you can check that the whole tank is at the correct temperature.

Plaamoo
    Participant

I don’t think i’ve ever had a heater that was accurate to it’s setting. The new eheim/jager heaters have an interesting feature. Once you get the desired temp set in the tank, as measured by an accurated thermometer, you pull out a little button and rotate the dial to match the temp.

Daddyfish
    Participant

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Sep 16 2010, 07:40 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’d also recommend using a thermometer at the opposite end of the tank so that you can check that the whole tank is at the correct temperature.

Hi Eyrie, that’s what I’ve been doing and that’s why I was concerned. Having got up this morning the temp seems to have caught up throughout the tank. I did lower the bark slightly so the water would flow over it more. I’ll see how it goes today, but if it does stay stable now it’s the heater is actually very accurate.

Cheers guys…great help as always!

Author
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.