LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Hyphessobrycon peruvianus — Hemigrammus lunatus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Hyphessobrycon peruvianus — Hemigrammus lunatus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Steve Waring 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Steve Waring

My LFS has been selling Lime Green Tetras Hemigrammus lunatus for some time now. To my untrained eye they look very similar to pictures I have seen of the Peruvian Tetra Hyphessobrycon peruvianus.

Does anyone know any distinguishing features?

Byron Hosking
    Participant

QUOTE (Steve Waring @ Feb 27 2011, 11:27 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My LFS has been selling Lime Green Tetras Hemigrammus lunatus for some time now. To my untrained eye they look very similar to pictures I have seen of the Peruvian Tetra Hyphessobrycon peruvianus.

Does anyone know any distinguishing features?

They may be misnamed, as from the photos I’ve seen the Hemigrammus lunatus is thicker bodied whereas Hyphessobrycon peruvianus is more pencil-shaped. Photos attached may help.

The H. peruvianus is very similar to H. metae. Gery opinioned they might be the same species, or sub-species. They are recognized as distinct species today, though all species in both genera are liable to change. When I first acquired H. metae I thought it might be H. peruvianus, but Heiko Bleher had a look and sorted it out for me.

Byron.

Attached files

Steve Waring

QUOTE (kermit58 @ Mar 1 2011, 12:33 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They may be misnamed, as from the photos I’ve seen the Hemigrammus lunatus is thicker bodied whereas Hyphessobrycon peruvianus is more pencil-shaped. Photos attached may help.

The H. peruvianus is very similar to H. metae. Gery opinioned they might be the same species, or sub-species. They are recognized as distinct species today, though all species in both genera are liable to change. When I first acquired H. metae I thought it might be H. peruvianus, but Heiko Bleher had a look and sorted it out for me.

Byron.

Thanks,

I had seen both those pictures. The ones in my LFS are not like the deep bodied ones. They were labled as Lime Green Tetras H. lunatus. However I’ve seen other people posting pictures of what are being sold as Lime Green Tetras elsewhere with pictures showing the more pencil-shaped fish.

So it does indeed look like they may be H. peruvianus. I don’t think they are H. metae as they don’t have the red highlight above the eye. Another feature that makes me think that these may be H. peruvianus is that there is a white stripe at the top of the caudal peduncle above a black stripe in the middle, but no noticeable white stripe below the black stripe. This matches your picture of H. peruvianus and none of the other fish. Then again that might just be because the colours are not showing fully in the fish shop.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.