LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Hypseleotris compressa – Empire Gudgeon

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Hypseleotris compressa – Empire Gudgeon

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Graham Ramsay 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Colin
    Participant

Hi

I have had three males and two females Hypseleotris compressa for about two or three months and yesterday I split a pair off into their own tank because they were going through all the motions of spawning.

I had expected them to be cave/pipe spawners but from what i have seen and been reading they will lay eggs on just about any substrate of the aquarium. Problem is that I have just seen a quote that at 0.32mm, their eggs are the smallest of any vertebrate species!?

Is it then likely then that their fry should be moved into saline conditions and back again and fed on rotifers etc???

could be a challenge lol

Cheers
    C

coelacanth
    Participant

Wissing in the pind, IMO, but worth it for the colour of the displaying male, they glow in a way that has to be seen to be believed. Spawned them a number of times, thousands of fry each time, never seen anything like it. They would spawn on whatever surface was available, and the female would be virtually hollow afterwards. I think after ten spawns or so the female depletes her stock of oocytes, and that’s game over. The fry act like planktonic organisms, all they do is wriggle to stay up in the water. Under the microscope they look like a bear trap with a tail, but never kept any alive for more than a few days, and never saw one feed on anything offered.
    I think (distant memory now…) Mike Yamamoto had limited success in Hawaii by using the sun to culture planktonic algae in natural seawater and then letting the fry feed on whatever they could. Rotifers would beat these fry up, you need whatever rotifers feed on, maybe Nannochloropsis, but you’d also maybe need to get the saliinity right.

Colin
    Participant

meh, that’s what I feared, thanks Pete.

I managed to rear melanopus clownfish once and that was a pain in the backside. I had to set up a plankton reactor and feed that with a drip coming from a phytoplankton reactor and then the phyto tube got inoculated with the rotifers by accident – and then it crashed and so on and so on lol

So, anyway I dont think I’ll bother with the Hypseleotris this time round – shame as they are great wee fish and fun to keep, just not breed lol

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Picture of one of my males:

The eggs are indeed spectacularly small:

Got a video which I’ll post in the “videos” section.

Attached files

Colin
    Participant

Good work Graham. My male is starting to really get that bump on the head now and although they breed all the time the other fish in the tank are just getting a snack from them!

Did you pick these up at the auction? I heard that there were some going?

I will be letting my last three go now if anyone is interested?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Jul 19 2011, 07:39 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Did you pick these up at the auction? I heard that there were some going?

I wasn’t able to get to the Livingston auction so i asked Steve Spencer to bring some up and John Reid picked them up for me. Swapped them for a bucket of green laser corys!

They must lay thousands of eggs, each time they spawn the entire bottom part of the sponge filter, including the underside of the sponge is covered with tiny eggs. Mine never last more than a day, the next morning they are always gone.

I’ll lift the next lot and try them with some green water. You never know.

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Still plugging away with these, trying various things. My record is 12 days. So they must be eating something

Colin
    Participant

very good, what size are they by day 12?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Sep 3 2011, 02:23 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    very good, what size are they by day 12?

Miniscule – maybe 3mm tops. They are free swimming (swim horizontal), hug the bottom and you can make out their eyes and pectoral fins. They still curl up and die though.
    You can sometimes see them curl into a spring shape and strike at something.

Colin
    Participant

are they in marine water by that point?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Sep 3 2011, 04:51 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    are they in marine water by that point?

Brackish. I’m going to try full marine next.

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

QUOTE (mummymonkey @ Sep 3 2011, 04:27 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Brackish. I’m going to try full marine next.

Tried full marine and the results weren’t so good. Feeding on nanochloropsis but still massive die off from day 5 onwards. At day 10 still too small for rotifers.

Will keep trying.

unissuh

Only mention I’ve heard of these being raised besides the guy in Hawaii are from Dave Wilson at Aquagreen (aquaculture facility in NT, Australia). Could try dropping him an email to see if he’s got any tips, nice guy.

QUOTE (Dave)
    I accidentally raised a batch as pollutants in my shrimp raising pond. You need foods down around the 10 micron size. Isolating these organisms and culturing them is rather difficult.

Colin
    Participant

keep trying!

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Does anybody want to try and guestimate the number of eggs in the latest spawn

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.