LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

I Might Need Your Help Here.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes I Might Need Your Help Here.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  thelizzious 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

thelizzious

I might need some help here. I am not sure what is the matter, but I’ve lost some fish. And during the absence of your forums /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” /> One day later I saw my male Micky platy laying on the floor in a corner, with no movement at all. But when I tried to fish him out he came to it and shot away. Like a bullet he swam away to hide himself. I can’t catch him, he is too fast, but still he keeps laying quiet on the floor and all you see is his breathing, very shallow. No movement at all. Till you try to catch him, then off he is again. Now since I have a seriously ovedose of platy-fry in the same 60 l. tank, I thought he was just exhausted /unsure.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:unsure:” border=”0″ alt=”unsure.gif” />

Malti
    Participant

I’d suggest a 1/3 water change. (do it asap)

And maybe try some Methylene Blue? (don’t put it in before someone else confirms it – I know it helps fish breath thats why I’m suggesting it)

Matt
    Keymaster

Personally I’d just keep on with the water changes if there haven’t been any further losses since removing the tube dear.

thelizzious

QUOTE (Matt @ Nov 13 2008, 08:56 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Personally I’d just keep on with the water changes if there haven’t been any further losses since removing the tube dear.

No new casualties here yet, but I can’t find PapaMick. My Albino Cory though is as good as new.
    I am doing water changes every day.

thelizzious

I did another water change today and I think we’re out of the woods. No more sick or dead fish and even papamick is moving along a bit better than yesterday. It must have been the tube, because all my tropics are fine since I removed the darn thing. Thx for your help, guys.

keith565
    Participant

glad things are getting back to normal. where did you get the tube from. it does sound like poisoning to me. but the water changes will have diluted it to a safe level now.

thelizzious

QUOTE (keith565 @ Nov 16 2008, 09:45 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    glad things are getting back to normal. where did you get the tube from. it does sound like poisoning to me. but the water changes will have diluted it to a safe level now.

It was my fault, entirely. The tube came from our local DIY store, it’s a pvc Y tube, overhere it’s used in kitchen-sinks. I had it in hot water for a while, but I forgot to check if there was anything inside of. And it was, there where rubber bands to seal the pipes, make them waterproof. I am not familiar with plumbing-terms, so I have to describe the thing as a lay sees it. Also, the cotton threads I wrapped around the nast grey tube were not dyed but they must have undergo somekind of chemical treatment, because where else would the poisoning come from, except from the rubber bands and the pvc of the tube it self.
    Everything is cool now. Though I see that my platy’s (3 different versions of them) sometimes make a movement that I would describe as twitches, very short and light, like a reflex to some sort of electric-magnetic field. Like when I touch my tv screen or a car-door. Btw, papamick is eating again, though he keeps hiding himself and he’s lost his alpha place in the hierarchy of platyland…ehm. platy-lake I mean.

Author
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.