LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Id This Tetra

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Id This Tetra

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  dunc 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Neal-DA
    Participant

This came up on another forum, thought matt might have an idea?
    Collection location is columbia

Any idea’s?

Attached files

Malti
    Participant

sorry can’t place it…not really much into tetras

are those really selling for free?

and btw its size is 2.5cm

ndc
    Participant

dont they have the name on stingray aquarium? they are a fish exporter from colombia, if its their site your refering to about the price then no they wont be free you just have to have registered with them as an importer to get the prices – i had the log on for them but i dont know where it is anymore

Matt
    Keymaster

If it´s from Colombia it should be Hyphessobrycon metae Neal. Looks a bit washed out in the pic if so, and also I could be wrong as the red patch in the dorsal is confusing me…. /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

laney
    Participant

Not sure if im right and i dont know its latin name
    However i believe its a Silver Tipped
    I have several in my tank a bit more yellow in the body than yours however marking’s are the same

Enjoy

Matt
    Keymaster

Hiya Laney, I don’t think it’s a silver-tip mate. Neal gave the locality as Colombia whereas silver-tips originate from Brazil, or at least the wild ones do. I still think it’s a variant of Hyphessobrycon metae or maybe an undescribed species….

laney
    Participant

Hyphessobrycon metae sorry not good at latin real names what is it you think,i’m interested to find out as i have sevral identical but their older and i cant remember what they called when i bought them

Matt
    Keymaster

Hehe sorry sometimes I get a bit carried away with the scientific names as I find they are a lot more useful for identifying a fish than common names. /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” /> Maybe these pics will help you identify what you have:

H. metae (pic taken from aquariofila.net as we don’t have any images for this species yet). This is the fish I’m familiar with hence the red in Neal’s fish confusing me. In fact the more I look at it the more I think Neal’s is something else:

Hasemania nana (silver-tip tetra). Easy to tell this tetra as it has no adipose fin:

Click the links to read more about each species.

Attached files

laney
    Participant

Okay found this when messing about on pc,still think its a silver tipped tetra
    try this link to some photos and see what you thinklatin name hasemanis nana

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&a…ana&spell=1

hope this worked

laney
    Participant

MMMMMMMMMMMM
    gets stranger when i go into it more, i don’t think all of mine have the red fin,could that be a male with higher colour or light.Not sure i give up mine are happy peacefull fish and i love them.

Hope someone can solve this problem

Elaine

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (laney @ Jul 5 2008, 02:42 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    still think its a silver tipped tetra

Do you mean your fish or the one at the top of the page Elaine? Neal’s can’t be a Hasemania as it has an adipose fin (the wee fin between the dorsal and tail). One of the defining characteristics of Hasemania is that they don’t have one of these.

laney
    Participant

Thats what i get for not looking correcty eh!!!!!!!!!!

A few of mine have a red mark,but they don’t have the extra fin.

So thats me shut up well and truly

butting out now

Elaine

Matt
    Keymaster

geoffkemp
    Participant

What about Hyphessobrycon Tino??

Just comparing the first picture in this htread to that on page 12 of the lastest PFK magazine. Had a qucik google and might be worth looking under hyphessobrycon sp. “Junior”

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm not sure Geoff. This is a young H. “tino”/”junior” (neither name is recognised by science, both are trade names?). Pic with permission by HW Choy:

Looks like a different fish to me?

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.