LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

In Hot Water?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes In Hot Water?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Senor Bastardo 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

I was half expecting this but water temperature in the stream tank has risen to 30C over the last week or so. All the fishes are still alive but look knackered and the gastros now rarely leave the point where the filter and powerhead outflow is most turbulent, even when I put food in.

Attached files

Colin
    Participant

can you get your hands on one of those wee beer chiller type fridges?

Matt
    Keymaster

Can you post an image of exactly what you mean Colin? They sell loads of different types of mini-fridge here.

Do I need to attempt some A-Team-style rebuild action?

Colin
    Participant

http://direct.asda.com/Husky-Budweiser-HUS…default,pd.html

just as an example – or even just a 2nd hand fridge?

Just thinking that an aquarium or tub of water within the fridge would be chilled to about 12 or so and then run a hose between the two. needs some work but might be the start of an idea

just a slow flow to get the water chilled – in fact a garden hose coiled up inside the fridge and pumped slowly through hose with the majority of the hose just coiled in the fridge compartment? You’d need to rig a way for the hose to get into the fridge without damaging it

The fan idea is the quickest and easiest way though – would be better if you could do that and work out how to add top up water without an expensive monitor like the aquamedic one

http://www.marineaquatics.co.uk/Top-Up-Sys…-Top-Up-System/

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Colin.

Plaamoo
    Participant

I’d probably keep the lights off Matt, if you’re not already. Does the tank get any natural light? You could put a light off to the side so the heat from the bulb doesn’t affect the tanks so directly.

Another thought, powerheads can add a lot of heat. Maybe substitute a couple of airstones instead?

Matt
    Keymaster

Jim you’re a genius. Totally forgot that I brought back one of these pumps from the UK last xmas so will get some airline and stones tomorrow.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Jim you’re a genius.

Don’t hear that very often….. if ever

Matt
    Keymaster

Haha thanks Jim but no honeymoon this year, or wedding in fact.

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

If you can get one, the Söchting oxydators are brilliant when the temperature rises. It´ll keep the water saturated with oxygen even with higher temperatures. I got one of these in all my tanks and haven´t lost a fish due to a hot spell (lost fish for several other reasons though but they´re all my own fault).

Matt
    Keymaster

Haven’t got time before I go away but that looks very interesting, may see if I can get one delivered after my holiday. Am about to add the airstones however!

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Yes, do give them a try you won´t regret it! Airstones only work as far as increasing the surface area between air and water while these actually increase the amount of dissolved oxygen.

As an added bonus there is less “muck” in the gravel when cleaning due to a higher degree of bacterial activity ( this last bit is pure speculation, but there is less muck).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.