LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

In-line Uv Sterilizers

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes In-line Uv Sterilizers

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Bluedave 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Daddyfish
    Participant

Hi Guys,

First off I apologise if this is posted in the wrong place!

I’m looking at getting an in-line UV Sterilizer for my Fluval 305 filter and was wondering if anyone had experience or knowledge of a particular model that worked well with this style filter.

Thanks in advance!

Neil

Eyrie
    Participant

Probably better suited to Equipment & DIY, so I’ve moved it.

Not used an inline UV steriliser, so can’t help I’m afraid.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Are you using it on marine or freshwater?

I have only tried adding inline UV once to freshwater tanks and had more trouble water wise than ever and now it is still connected but never switched on.

Daddyfish
    Participant

QUOTE (Mark Duffill @ Dec 22 2011, 12:32 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Are you using it on marine or freshwater?

I have only tried adding inline UV once to freshwater tanks and had more trouble water wise than ever and now it is still connected but never switched on.

Thanks for the reply! It’s a 275L freshwater tank. I’m only toying with the idea after watching a number of videos on YouTube and reading a little online. I’m looking to hear some experiences to see if it’s worth the expense and effort and if I decide yes, which would be best with my filter.

Bluedave
    Participant

Whats the steriliser for mate? Do you have particular water quality issues?

Colin
    Participant

As Dave says – is there a particular reason why you want UV? I have used it extensively on marine tanks. Too often it can be used to hide/mask problems… what are you aquarium plans?

cheers
    Colin

Daddyfish
    Participant

Hi Dave & Colin,

Thanks for the replies! I don’t have any problems, it’s a brand new tank and I was just thinking of getting one to prevent any problems. As I’m in the middle of setting the tank up I thought now would be the best time to fit one. I’ve read that they prevent infections, help with water clarity and help prevent algae. I’m guessing you guys are going to say I don’t need one…right?

Colin
    Participant

yeah, pretty much – unless you are going to keep something pretty sensitive from a very sterile clean environment then I wouldnt bother.

Having said that though I use UVs with my Betta macrostoma (that fall into the above category) and my new big display tank for the house will have a UV plumbed into it but that will only be switched on if I get a problem like Oodinium which can often occur in the very acidic conditions that I am planning on this new tank having.

You can get combined UV internal filters for about twenty quid delivered off eBay and thats what I use for the B macrostoma

Bluedave
    Participant

You got it in one mate!

Unless you have a particular water quality issue then I wouldn’t bother. As Colin said they can often mask problems. If you have a good water change regime and are careful in what you add to the tank then you will not have water quality issues that require a UV steriliser.

Even sensitive fish rarely need a UV (don’t know many Discus keepers that use them for instance, I certainly never have – it’s all about water changes).

As for helping with algae issues – not sure they do. My Father in law has a UV on his pond and he still has algae issues if I miss a clean up/water change (yes – if I miss one, not him! lol). Again, good water change regime and lots of well growing plants will help with algae.

So in summary – rather than invest in UV – maintain your Water changes!

Daddyfish
    Participant

Thanks for the input guys, but for £30 I couldn’t resist trying it, so I’ll let you know how I get on!

Cheers!

Bluedave
    Participant

lol, no probs mate, good luck with it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.