LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Is This Good For White Spot?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Is This Good For White Spot?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jim r 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Malti
    Participant

I have TetraMedica GoldMed which is good for whitespot in goldies & Coldwater fish.

Now I just noticed that my Discus + some zebra Danios (got some rams and endlers aswell in tank none seem effected – plec’s couldn’t see them so dunno) have some whitespot – most effected one has 6, others have 2-3 (all happened overnight).

I upped temp to 32 C/ 89.6F – do you think the Tetra would work or do I have to buy something else? I’m swamped with work & meetings…so if it works would be something less of my busy boring schedule

keith565
    Participant

hmm, not 100% sure, but i think it’s the same protazoan for both cold and tropical. so i would guess it’s the same meds. just makes more money if u label one for coldwater and one for tropical.
    but as i said, not 100% sure.

Malti
    Participant

well got some tropical white spot med from my cousin, they seem to be doing better, can’t risk it with the discus…

jim r
    Participant

Have you tried using an in-line uv?

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (jim r @ May 28 2010, 08:02 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Have you tried using an in-line uv?

whats that?

jim r
    Participant

Uv sterilizer. That is what I used when my guppy tank had white spot, in conjunction with higher temps. The higher temp speeds up the cycle and the uv light kills the tomites.

Malti
    Participant

like the marine one? don’t have one + it ain’t cheap

jim r
    Participant

I paid about $100 here in NZ and it would seem we pay higher prices. A bottle of white spot cure would work as well as long as your fish are not to sensitive.

keith565
    Participant

an inline UVwill work well on any tank with an external filter running. you can even buy internal filters with them built in now.
    i’m not sure of the price, but they are not horendously high in price, but you do need to change the bulb every 6 months i believe.

Malti
    Participant

on another forum I had read against UV sterilizers as they kill all bacteria (ie making the cycle useless) is that right?

jim r
    Participant

Yes, good and bad bacteria is killed but only if it passes through the uv unit and if you put the uv after the aquarium filter then you would still have a healthy colony of bacteria inside your filter, after the whitespot is gone you then remove the uv unit. I have 1 permanently on my guppy tank but it is turned off untill such times as is needed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.