LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Italian newt – Lissotriton italicus

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Italian newt – Lissotriton italicus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Plaamoo 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Thomas

Hi,

my first try with an european newt species. Today I’ve purchased a group of six Lissotriton italicus. CB of course. If they doing well I want to take them in hibernation, for having a chance to breeding them next spring. L_italicus1.jpgL_italicus2.jpgL_italicus3.jpg

With 8 cm (3,15 “) it is the smallest species in this genus.

Cheers,

Thomas

Matt
    Keymaster

You bought them! Surprised Nice!

Thomas

Yeah, yesterday! Didn’t noticed the dorsal line in the shop. After a short negotiation I’ve paid 12,50 Euro for each instead of 20! Thats ok. I have to register them in the next days.

Matt
    Keymaster

What do you mean by ‘registersting’ them? Some legal process?

Thomas

Yes Matt, all european amphibians and reptiles are reportable. At least here in germany. I don’t know the whole restrictions, maybe I have to keep a breeding book. At least I have to report any changing of the population (dead, spawns or sale). Following strictly the law I have to report every egg! And deregister every dead egg. But this is much work even for the officials, so the praxis is to register only saleable animals. :)

It sounds a bit tricky but you have the certainness to get CB. I can only talk about newts but there are many different species available as CB including many subspecies.

It’s  a bit funny, in germany many people crying about potential higher restriction in keeping animals, and I take a restriction freely with this newts. :)

You don’t have the restrictions in spain?

Matt
    Keymaster

Just checked and it appears that we do have something similar in place.

How are they getting on?

Thomas

They aren’t too fat ;) , but I’m pleased with them. Till now not the best hunter, but they are agil and not lethargic or so. After more than half a year in not the very best placement it’s ok!

A thiner candidate:

L_italicus4.jpg

EDIT:

And this evening it works better with feeding micro crickets. :) Wax maggots were still mostly spit out

oaken
    Participant

Those are really nice.

Matt
    Keymaster

How are they doing Thomas?

Thomas

Good question Matt, I guess they doing well… Smile They are really shy, and doesn’t like the light. But when I’m spraying their tank and feeding after that, they come out. A few of them Wink

llamafish
    Participant

Hi Thomas – I am looking for these in the UK. How common are there to get hold of in the EU? From the couple of breeders I spoken to there are highly aquatic if the temperature is below 20 Degrees C

I got one that lives with some dart frogs atm…. but I don’t believe that the right conditions ideally!

Cheers

Mark

Thomas

Hi Mark,

till now I’m a newbie with this species. At the moment I keep my group fully terrestrial.
    I don’t think it’s difficult to get them, but it seems there are not so many keepers as other european newts has.

Cheers,

Thomas

Thomas

Two days ago I’ve started to adapting the newts to the water, with sucsess. Now they are so much more better to watch!

L_italicus9.jpgL_italicus10.jpgL_italicus11.jpgL_italicus12.jpg

Thomas

The whole group has done a complete agreement with the water, they doesn’t use the land area.

L_italicus20.jpg

Thomas

And the first egg… Surprised

Ei-1.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.