LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Jenynsia lineata

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Jenynsia lineata

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  BoBoBaer 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

Anyone have experience with these? Found a tank full at a local shop. Interesting!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z229/bigsky_photos/DSC_2270_zpszjlazw0h.jpg

Barb Man
    Participant

No but I want some. What do they act like and such? Then again that’s what you want to know too. I think they sort of look like a danio or a very plain killi fish because the mouth looks to be turned up. How big were they and did they school or shoal?

Did you ask anyone that worked there if they knew anything about them? They might have been able to give you some good advice if the knew anything. Hope someone knows something about them.

Matt
    Keymaster

Oh, nice! You going for it Jim?

Plaamoo
    Participant

I was considering it Matt but only in my head. No room!

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

“Might” be getting some Jenynsia onca.

Darrell Ullisch
    Participant

It should be noted that Jenynsia are livebearers, often called the One-Sided Livebearer because the male can only swing his gonopodium to one side, and the female has a scale so that she can only be fertilized from one side. They are found in the southern part of Brazil. I’ve never kept them myself, but several friends have bred them, and they have fairly large fry, I’m told.

mikev
    Participant

I’m getting confused now… one day it is Plaamoo, then Jim, then Plaamoo… did you guys insert a name randomizer into the forum soft? :P

Plaamoo
    Participant

@mikev said:
    I’m getting confused now… one day it is Plaamoo, then Jim, then Plaamoo… did you guys insert a name randomizer into the forum soft? :P

My fault, I was messing around with my profile. Laugh

Darrell I was doing some research on these and I found more than one account that said the one side thing has been disproved.

Darrell Ullisch
    Participant

Not exactly. They are one sided, but it does not matter in breeding, as they can mate regardless of whether right or left handed. For those who are unfamiliar with the species, it used to be thought that only right handed males could breed with left handed females and vice versa, but it has since been learned that a left handed male can simply go head to tail with the female and still fertilize her. The same is true with right handed males and right handed females.

BillT
    Participant

I have read similar things about the four eyed fish (Anableps), which I also heard somewhere was disproved.

As I recall, the two genera are fairly closely related.

Too bad the handedness can breed with each other. If the handedness was genetically determined, I was hoping for two separate breeding populations in the same area, or perhaps an alternation of generations between breeding with one handedness and the other.

BoBoBaer
    Participant

Hey,

we have a bunch of Jenynsia tucumana and they are “one-sided” and prefer to mate accordingly (but attempts occure also from the other side although rarely successful). Anaplebs (which we also have) are also “one-sided” althoug I cannot say anything about mating preference.

Jenynsia seem to be easy to keep/breed. We have a wild-caught stock and they reproduce all the time. Just put the pregnant female in a separate box (similar as you do for platys or so) and you’ll find some babies in it some day :-)

Cheers,

BoBoBaer

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.