LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Judges

Home Forums The Lounge Judges

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ndc 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

**baitman**
    Participant

QUOTE (keith565 @ Jun 3 2009, 07:52 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    hmm, one of the reasons i stopped showing last year were the number of cock ups made by judges. to be honest, if i didn’t work so many weekends i would do the judges course.
    so how did u guys do then. ehh ehh.
    oh, and many thanks for the fish, all settled in well. the dougster says and i quote ”WHERE’S THE REST OF MY FISH” unquote, and also thanks,lol

always hard to be in fireing line and put your rep on the line but yeah have a go when i did it was the hard way c class, b class ,a class no fast tracking same old s**t then judges at fault for everything nowt to with exibitors pulling fast ones and quiet a few did but it takes three judges for best in show or did , what is average entry at a show now back in good old days at birtley as used to be 500 /600 entries for the show and sometimes classes of 40 or more

Matt
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forums baitman.

keith565
    Participant

i know how hard it is to judge, i’ve been around many years and have shown for many of those to, even doing some judging at club nights. what i had problems with were the obvious cock ups, those a blind man could see, and there were many of them. most of the judges these days are good at listening and acknowledging that they may be wrong, but when you get 85 points at one show, even a best in show, as happened to me, and 2 weeks later 65 and not placed, then something has to be wrong, no consistency.
    however, i also have to agree with you that there are some exhibitors who will always try to pull a fast one by naming their fish something completely different, and according to the rules (not 100% sure here) the judge must go by the name on the tank unless he knows otherwise.
    i also lost heart when it became more of a competition rather than a hobby, fish being put on the bench which had just been bought the day before, breeders classes with obvious dated wrong, and so on. all for the sake of a tin of food. i have seen and heard of peeps going into shops with FBAS size books, even tape measures.
    bring back the old days, so much nicer, sitting around discussing our fish, having a pint. now peeps won’t even tell you what they are keeping, so sad.

mickthefish
    Participant

i’m with you on that Keith mate.

dunc
    Keymaster

QUOTE (keith565 @ Jul 23 2009, 09:14 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    bring back the old days, so much nicer, sitting around discussing our fish, having a pint. now peeps won’t even tell you what they are keeping, so sad.

Even I’ve encountered this and I just think.. what the ****

**baitman**
    Participant

QUOTE (keith565 @ Jul 23 2009, 09:14 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i know how hard it is to judge, i’ve been around many years and h ave shown for many of those to, even doing some judging at club nights. what i had problems with were the obvious cock ups, those a blind man could see, and there were many of them. most of the judges these days are good at listening and acknowledging that they may be wrong, but when you get 85 points at one show, even a best in show, as happened to me, and 2 weeks later 65 and not placed, then something has to be wrong, no consistency.
    however, i also have to agree with you that there are some exhibitors who will always try to pull a fast one by naming their fish something completely different, and according to the rules (not 100% sure here) the judge must go by the name on the tank unless he knows otherwise.
    i also lost heart when it became more of a competition rather than a hobby, fish being put on the bench which had just been bought the day before, breeders classes with obvious dated wrong, and so on. all for the sake of a tin of food. i have seen and heard of peeps going into shops with FBAS size books, even tape measures.

yeah we used to get into trouble doing that as well birtley a.s. had a drink culture but we made loads of friends all over country times change fella sometimes for the worse

ndc
    Participant

when i had a shop there was someone who used to come in with his book and buy new fish to show a few days later –

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.