LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Just Found My Female Cockatoo Dead

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Just Found My Female Cockatoo Dead

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bigbadbaz 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

Hello,
    Have just been feeding tank and found Mrs Cockatoo had died. I know these fish are not easy to get hold of so will the male be ok on his own? Will have spent about 60 quid on fish (including petrol) this week alone so do not relish trying to find him another mate if i can help it at the moment.

mickthefish
    Participant

is that the dwarf Apistogramma bud, if so the male will live quite happily on his own.

mick

dunc
    Keymaster

Aye, if you mean Apistogramma cacatuoides he’ll be fine on his own. It might be worth ringing up a few local fish shops and seeing if they have any females going spare.. though it’d be best to try and get the most similar colour morph possible, which can be tricky.

BTW I think Trimar have pairs of A. cacatuoides in stock for ~£12 or so, plus £10 p&p. Might be worth e-mailing them too.

If this thread isn’t about the dwarf Apisto then the above is all irrelevant /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

Thats the fella, I will probably leave him on his own, he never really bothered with the female, there is plenty of spawning places but he has never been interested.
    If I see a replacement on my travels I will get it but I am not going hunting.

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

I have found the root of my problem. Daddy Krib has just killed the female as the eggs are free swimmers, I have a feeling he killed the cockatoo as well. Looks like I may be getting rid or a nigerian red if he keeps it up, his prey are too expensive!!

Matt
    Keymaster

They’re buggers for that Baz. I’ve had the Nigerian Red and Dehane forms and the male Dehane almost killed the female after their second spawn became free swimming. Managed to save her just in time but it took her a month to recover. Sorry about your two girls mate.

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

It is karma really as the female who has just been killed mortally damaged her partner who was absolutely stunning, found him under the bogwood and tried to save him but was to no avail, only saving grace is that i have 9 fry from them who are about 3 months old and already have beautiul markings.

dunc
    Keymaster

To this day, despite keeping maybe four or five different species of Apisto (borelli, cacatuoides, agasiizii and panduro that I can recall) as well as P. taeniatus and Dicrossus maculatus, I’ve never had anything go exactly to plan. I’ve bred the last two species but in every species I’ve had a fatality from either bad luck or aggression between the pairs.

It’s really frustrating but I’ve decided the next time I attempt spawning dwarf cichlids I’ll be using a larger tank; hopefully around the 4ft mark. I think in a bigger tank the bullied fishes would be able to get away and have their own territory outside that of their partner’s and hopefully the result would be zero deaths. I used to use an 18″ x 15″ x 12″ or a 24″ x 15″ x 12″ and neither seemed to work as well as I’d hoped.

Matt
    Keymaster

I think smaller tanks are ok provided you have somewhere to remove one of the fish to post-spawning i.e. the female for Pelvicachromis, male for Apistos.

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

Daddy is currently guarding 24 freeswimmers. How many will there be in a week?
    Shall we run a book?

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

Not doing bad at the moment, still about 24 little ones

dunc
    Keymaster

Good news Baz

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

Liquifeed directed to their abode with a syringe and some tubing.

dunc
    Keymaster

Nicely played Sir

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

Well we are down to 4 little swimmers, I have just had a call to say daddy cockatoo has just been fished out dead, Will have a look at him when I get home to see if he is another victim of “The Evil One”
    (anyone want a pair of kribs, they are costing me a fortune!!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.