LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Just What Is That? (Brochis, Cory)

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Just What Is That? (Brochis, Cory)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Sojapat 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Any cory experts around to help with ID’ng of these chaps I’ve seen at the lfs:

(Marked as Brochis Sp. The puzzle is the color: it is grey/black, not the usual coloration for Brochis Splendens. Whatever green seen on the photo comes from the flash reflection. I don’t think this is the dark substrate, my own shoal of B.splendens is also on dark, but has the regular “emerald”color.)

TIA!

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I have had both the dark almost black Brochis splendens and more green coloured ones, all arrived from the same supplier and were caught in the same location so I put it down to just a variation within the fish.

coelacanth
    Participant

One shop I went in a while ago had three different Brochis forms all listed as splendens, none of them were multirads or britski’s, so it’s likely that there are several more species waiting to be described/resurrected. There could quite easily be cryptic species within Brochis populations given that this situation occurs in other Corydoradines.

mikev
    Participant

Thank you!

Possibly they are more common in Europe… I never saw anything like before, and a couple of serious cory breeders I know said that there is no such thing as “Black Splendens”.
    The color shift seems to be very similar to that in black C.schultzei vs green C.aeneus … maybe the same genes are responsible?

Ugggh… so tempting….

Sojapat

Pete is correct there are several new (undescribed brochis) in particular the Matto grosso and Bolivian borders ,I get bye catch in with the real britskii and I know there are another 2 species living in Bolivia .
    The fish in your picture IMO is splendens the colour is darker because of the substrate .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.