LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Juwel Internal Filter

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Juwel Internal Filter

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ender2811 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

ender2811
    Participant

Heya, was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding maintenance of a juwel int filter.
    It’s a Standard H model, 600 L/h pump. I’m new at this so anything u have in terms of frequency of cleaning/replacing sponges would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Stefan

I would rip that thing out and throw it in the bin. It’s absolute rubbish (I’ve replaced them all by external filters).

Matt
    Keymaster

What Stefan said. There goes our advertising contract with Juwel…

Stefan

QUOTE (Matt @ May 4 2011, 10:29 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What Stefan said. There goes our advertising contract with Juwel…

Fevz
    Participant

It’s not absolute rubbish. But it would be better to have a stronger canister filter

Stefan

QUOTE (Fevz @ May 4 2011, 10:38 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It’s not absolute rubbish. But it would be better to have a stronger canister filter /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Bluedave
    Participant

depends what your keeping. While i’d agree that a decent external is much much better, I’ve had both a trigon 190 and juwel rekord 60 for years both with the internal filters – no problems what so ever. I upgraded the pump in both though to give more flow.

I try not to touch the filters much – rinse out the top white sponge every couple of weeks and then maybe once every three months hoik everything else out and rinse it in tank water. I did add sera siporax (noodles) instead of one of the sponges in the trigon:

ender2811
    Participant

Thanks gents. Will look into upgrading in the future, unfortunately it’s not possible at the moment.

@Bluedave: Thought their schedule of replacing the sponges was a bit over the top. Did your trigon not have a ceramic ring cartridge? This one does, so do you mean you added another one instead of a sponge for a total of two or just the one??? Also a 1000L/h pump? Are they interchangeable or does it require any DIY stunts?

Their instructions are: CHANGE top sponge once a week, the two beneath them once a month/3 months, and exchange the ones where the culture is supposed to grow every 4-6 months.
    Also love how they put 2 sponges in which are exactly the same only one is green and the other is blue and that makes an enormous difference for bacterial growth. It seems microorganisms don’t care for blue very much lol. Sorry Dave

Bluedave
    Participant

lol, I think the green one is supposed to help with Nitrosomus (sp) bacteria – load of cobblers!

I left the blue sponge in (of course!) and removed the green one then added the siporax. I have had the sam sponges in my Rekord 60 for about 9 years – all they need is a rinse every few months in tank water. The white top sponge probably gets renewed every few months as it is so fine that it eventually falls to bits but I just buy a big bag of filter floss (think the last bag was Sera).

Never heard of a ceramic ring cartridge – sounds painful!

The pumps are interchangeable – think I put a 1200 l/h pump in the trigon and 800 or 900 l/hr in the rekord – I can check the Rekord but you’ll have to wait a couple of days as it’s up and running.

ender2811
    Participant

Thanks Dave, loads of help.

You don’t have to bother with checking the pump. I’ll just see if I can find a stronger one for a reasonable price. This one, the 600, does look a bit weakish.

The cartridge isn’t exactly ceramic, or rings for that matter. It’ called cirax, like a coarse gravel type thingy. Like siporax only no holes. Might try to replace it. Sip has a lot more surface area looks like. But basically it’s the same kind of thing.

Anything else come to mind I should know about?

Bluedave
    Participant

Not really mate, simple as that really!

ender2811
    Participant

Thanks a lot Dave.
    Gonna go plant my Hygrophila now. Wish me luck

Author
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.