LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Keeping bumblebee goby with green spotted puffer

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Keeping bumblebee goby with green spotted puffer

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Nathangoudie 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Nathangoudie
    Participant

Is it possible? The tank is 200l and will be densely planted 

Ferrika
    Participant

Not a good idea. Puffer are always snappy and bumble bees are not fast enough to escape them.

Nathangoudie
    Participant

So what can I keep with the puffer in a 200l tank? 
    It’s really bleak to have a 200l  tank with only 1 puffer :-(  

Ferrika
    Participant

I have for example my puffers with Omobranchus zebra (blennies) held. It went very well because blennies are just as snappy as puffers. They know how to go out of the way.
    Omobranchus zebra are brackish water blennies that fit so perfectly with the puffer. Or other, more nimble and brackish water fish.

Nathangoudie
    Participant

Thanks for suggestion Ferrika.
    Do you know any other brackish species would fit? As long as it’s native to Vietnam then I’ll have a chance to get it. Brackish water fish are not sold in my country but can only be wild-caught. I’ll have to make a field trip the collect the fish. 

AlanYoung
    Participant

It is not a good idea to keep other species with puffer. But you can maintain a group of puffers. Puffers can be aggressive to other fish and nip their fins. Try to keep the tank-mates in the same family. Try to make them all puffers or most, about the same size.

Rüdiger
    Participant

Dear Mr. Young,

I don’t know where you take your wisdom from!? Talking about “keeping it in the family” might be fine for humans but an ichthyoilogical family is a different kettle of fish altogether and generally encompasses some sub families, several genera and plenty species. To recommend to keep e.g. puffers of “the same family” together in a tank, certainly is a death warrant for all but one specimen! 

My personal opinion is as follows: Do your homework before you post such nonesense!

Regards

R.

Ferrika
    Participant

MorayMaster
    Participant

Puffers are best kept solo, or housed with fish much larger than themselves. Anything smaller than the puffer will be slowly killed over time.

Nathangoudie
    Participant

Thanks for all replies guys!
    I know that puffers are really aggressive and if more than 1 puffer in the tank, it will requires 20gallon per addition puffer. My tank is only 200l, that’s around 40gal

about Omobranchus elegans…. I’ve never seen this fish before so really no idea where should I find them. At the moment I have mangrove tree growing but not fish yet. I want to keep puffer since they’re young…. problem is they look way too small for a 200l tank.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.